Notices
2007 - 2013 (GMT900) Section for all discussion related to the 2007-2013 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

'09 Silverado AFM and Transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old October 3rd, 2018, 1:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '09 Silverado AFM and Transmission problems

Hello all,

This is my first time posting. My girlfriend has had this truck for a year and a half and we dont really know the history. It now has over 150k miles, And has the dreaded oil consumption problem. I have rebuilt engines in the past so that part doesnt scare me. Should I be looking into deleting the AFM? I am having an oil analysis done so I can see what kind of internal engine wear we are dealing with. I also plan on doing a compression check. We are consuming about 2 quarts every 3k miles. No smoke from the tailpipe whatsoever. Summit sells the AFM delete kit that includes a new cam and lifters. I also read somewhere that the valve cover will need to be changed? Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

A second issue we are dealing with is the transmission. I doubt it has ever been serviced, so thats already a problem. But what it is doing is having a problem with 2-1 downshifts causing it to jerk, and it slips at times when accelerating from a stop like the torque converter isnt grabbing. I read the codes and got a P0751 for a shift solenoid failure. I am afraid to drop the transmission pan and change the solenoids and cause even more issues as I see plenty of people doing a simple transmission filter change and having more problems afterwards. So the question is what do I do in this situation? Besides the obvious SELL THE TRUCK haha. She really doesnt want to get rid of it so I am doing what I can to keep it going. Thanks for reading.
Old October 3rd, 2018, 3:38 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They sell a updated valve cover for that issue,next you could get range technology,afm delete,plug and play,the tranny,roll up your sleeves and change solenoids,on internet you see the worst,many,many,no problem jobs done
Old October 3rd, 2018, 8:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you geo 🍻