Notices
2007 - 2013 (GMT900) Section for all discussion related to the 2007-2013 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.
Old July 22nd, 2015, 2:40 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Wheels and Tire
Print Wikipost

Spare tire removal trouble.....

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2011, 6:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spare tire removal trouble.....

I've got a 2007 Classic Silverado. When i crank the spare tire down, the cable comes all the way down but the tire doesn't, tire will come down a little but not much, i can grab it and wobble it around, but it won't come down all the way, anyone have any ideas what to do with it, i've layed on my back on the ground and kicked it upwards with my feet, hoping it would drop, but no luck.
Old May 22nd, 2011, 8:31 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

not really familiar with your year, but maybe try deflating it or something.
Old May 22nd, 2011, 11:22 PM
CF Beginner

Talking just get mean

I had the same thing happen on my old s-10. On my truck there was just a bunch of mud and other junk stuck above it and it was holding the tire. If you get mad enough it will come down.
Old May 26th, 2011, 8:46 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by shmee
I've got a 2007 Classic Silverado. When i crank the spare tire down, the cable comes all the way down but the tire doesn't, tire will come down a little but not much, i can grab it and wobble it around, but it won't come down all the way, anyone have any ideas what to do with it, i've layed on my back on the ground and kicked it upwards with my feet, hoping it would drop, but no luck.
Shmee,

If the spare tire does not lower to the ground, the secondary latch is engaged causing the tire not to lower. Your vehicle has an underbody-mounted tire hoist assembly that has a secondary latch system. It is designed to stop the spare tire from suddenly falling off your vehicle. For the secondary latch to work, the spare must be installed with the valve stem pointing down. To release the spare tire from the secondary latch, do the following:

1. Check under the vehicle to see if the cable end is visible. If the cable is not visible, proceed to Step 6.

2. If it is visible, first try to tighten the cable by turning the wheel wrench clockwise until you hear two clicks or feel it skip twice. You cannot over tighten the cable.

3. Loosen the cable by turning the wheel wrench counterclockwise three or four turns.

4. Repeat this procedure at least two times. If the spare tire lowers to the ground, continue with Step 5 of Removing the Spare Tire and Tools on page 566.

5. Turn the wrench counterclockwise until approximately 6 inches (15 cm) of cable is exposed.

6. Stand the wheel blocks on their shortest ends, with the backs facing each other.

7. Place the bottom edge of the jack (A) on the wheel blocks (B), separating them so that the jack is balanced securely.

8. Attach the jack handle, extension, and wheel wrench to the jack and place it (with the wheel blocks) under the vehicle towards the front of the rear bumper.

9. Position the center lift point of the jack under the center of the spare tire.

10. Turn the wheel wrench clockwise to raise the jack until it lifts the end fitting.

11. Continue raising the jack until the spare tire stops moving upward and is held firmly in place. The secondary latch has released and the spare tire is balancing on the jack.

12. Lower the jack by turning the wheel wrench counterclockwise. Keep lowering the jack until the spare tire slides off the jack or is hanging by the cable.

13. Disconnect the jack handle from the jack. Carefully remove the jack from underneath the vehicle.

14. Use one hand to push against the spare while firmly pulling the jack out from under the spare tire with the other hand. If the spare tire is hanging from the cable, insert the hoist handle, extension, and wheel wrench into the hoist shaft hole in the bumper and turn the wheel wrench counterclockwise to lower the spare the rest of the way.

15. Tilt the retainer at the end of the cable and pull it through the wheel opening. Pull the tire out from under the vehicle.

16. Turn the wheel wrench clockwise to raise the cable back up if the cable is hanging under the vehicle. Have the hoist assembly inspected as soon as you can. You will not be able to store a spare or flat tire using the hoist assembly until it has been replaced.

This information was found in your owner’s manual starting on page 569

Thank you!

Elizabeth, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old July 27th, 2014, 1:00 PM
CF Beginner

Angry Silverado 1500 spare tire hoist stuck

Okay, I am currently stuck on the highway with my wife and two children ages 14 and 11. The temperature is 90 degrees and I am stuck waiting for a tow truck that is 45 minutes away. I have spent the last two hours trying to fix my flat tire all due to a lousy 2nd latch design by Chevrolet. What a joke! I've searched the internet to try and find out why the 2nd latch is not disengaging only to find out that it is a "common" problem. Really? The ONE time I have a flat and my spare is useless because of a stuck 2nd latch system. I have followed the instructions in the manual several times to no avail. Thanks Chevrolet...you clearly know about this problem due to all of the poor reviews and yet I sit hear in the heat with kids in the car waiting for a tow truck. What haven't you recalled the vehicle due to this issue? What will it take? I hope someone traveling 65+ miles/hr doesn't rear end me. Oh, I expect I will have to catch a lift with the tow truck driver to the nearest shop to actually fix my tire because there is no way the tow truck guy is going to be able to help me with my spare.
Old December 31st, 2014, 9:33 AM
CF Beginner

Default The secondary latch it rusted or frozen

Thexton Manufacturing just came out with a new tool to break free the secondary latch on GM Pickups & SUV's 2002-2012. Part number TH805
GM Stuck Spare Tire Release Kit, No. THX805 | VehicleServicePros.com
Old May 24th, 2016, 12:55 PM
CF Beginner

Default I feel your pain

I'm in the same boat, fortunately without the wife and kids. The engineer that came up with this design deserves a punch in the throat.
Old May 24th, 2016, 7:51 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

tool is great idea.

I unbolt the one hoist bolt and hammer the hoist off the retainer...and hoist and tire fall to the grd.

you definitely need to lower these once a year and power wash all the dirt out. penetrating fluid never hurts.
Old May 25th, 2016, 10:25 AM
CF Beginner

The answer to it all.

Old October 4th, 2018, 1:53 PM
CF Junior Member

Wish me luck. I'm currently trying to get the spare tire down on my '03 Yukon Denali. The tire has never been down these last 15 years. I do have the vehicle in the garage on my lift so that should help. I couldn't figure out how the mechanism worked so the video is a big help. At least now I know what I'm dealing with. You can bet your *** that secondary latch will be disabled when I put this thing back together.

Quick Reply: Spare tire removal trouble.....