Notices
2007 - 2013 (GMT900) Section for all discussion related to the 2007-2013 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.
Old July 24th, 2015, 5:34 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community expertsBrowse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

2008 5.3l AFM "Blown" Lifters & Camshaft $$$$

Search this Thread

Old March 10th, 2017, 1:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuckchevy
Buy a programmer and shut AFM off I did at 70,000 and now have 225,000 on my 5.3L
That won't necessarily work. I had the AFM turned off at 32K. The engine started burning oil around 75k. New pistons and rings at 97K followed by a new engine at 113k. 5K later the transmission went. The transmission shop doesn't think the dealer added enough ATF back when they installed the motor. So much for owning a truck with zero car payments.
Old March 25th, 2017, 9:38 PM
CF Beginner

Default Bought a 09 5.3 crew cab Texas edition

last week. And the same symptoms. It has 101,000 miles and it has consumed one quart of oil in 2 weeks and no leaks. I got a misfire code p0302 and a stabilitrak service light folllowed by a rough engine. Next day I started up my truck and it now has an engine tick in idle. I took it down the freeway and drove next to a concrete barrier so I can hear the engine to make sure it was the engine making the noise. And not the accessory belt. Low and behold in high rpms it's grinding the heck out of the engine.

Wonderful. I am taking the truck back to the dealer on Monday and letting them know that the engine is probably completely screwed up. We'll see how they handle that wonderful news. They will have to make it right one way or another. I'm not excited about not having my truck for a while. Every day I can't drive it makes me depressed. I love my trucks.
Old April 12th, 2017, 5:00 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2008 Chevy K1500 with 66,000 easy miles

We bail them out with our tax dollars then they turn their back on us when we have a problem with their problem. Yup me too, camshaft job for sure say's the dealer. VW got caught cheating, I wonder why the Fed's don't look into the passing on of bad parts to unsuspecting consumers. All my Chevy trucks were treated with respect and properly maintained . I'm 59 yrs old and I've been a loyal Chevy truck owner 4 times now. All done with GM. Never again. Hello Ford and Dodge. They will love to have my business.
Old April 12th, 2017, 5:31 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by disgusted
We bail them out with our tax dollars then they turn their back on us when we have a problem with their problem. Yup me too, camshaft job for sure say's the dealer. VW got caught cheating, I wonder why the Fed's don't look into the passing on of bad parts to unsuspecting consumers. All my Chevy trucks were treated with respect and properly maintained . I'm 59 yrs old and I've been a loyal Chevy truck owner 4 times now. All done with GM. Never again. Hello Ford and Dodge. They will love to have my business.
Welcome to the forum
Wow 66k miles... It seems like it is hit or miss, some vehicles are still on the road today apparently with no issue. Was your truck using any oil? did the check oil level light ever come on?
I ask as that seems to be a commonality to the failure is oil consumption
I added an AFM disabler to my 07 a couple of years back and now at 121k miles she is still doing good and not consuming any oil, prior to the AFM disabling I was starting to see some oil usage.
Old April 12th, 2017, 6:01 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by in2pro
Welcome to the forum
Wow 66k miles... It seems like it is hit or miss, some vehicles are still on the road today apparently with no issue. Was your truck using any oil? did the check oil level light ever come on?
I ask as that seems to be a commonality to the failure is oil consumption
I added an AFM disabler to my 07 a couple of years back and now at 121k miles she is still doing good and not consuming any oil, prior to the AFM disabling I was starting to see some oil usage.
Thanks for the welcome. The truck was not using any oil, no check oil light ever. My truck is not AFM. Just the 5.3L V8. It just decided out of the blue yesterday to start a clopping sound from the lower mid-engine. NO pre-warning of ticking, tapping, knocking or stress. A 2008 with only 66,000 on it is low mileage to an average of under 8000 miles a year. It has lived a charmed life as a daily driver. No rust on the body to speak of. I did have to replace the two front wheel bearings last year which I thought was a little odd too for the low mileage. So being in sound body condition and low mileage I have no choice than to do the repair and get at least three more years out of it before I retire. Like many who are and have experienced this problem have to dig into their emergency funds. I still have not found on the net any great explanation as to what causes this to happen. One poster in this group or another I looked at said he was told by a dealer that GM was at the time getting inferior camshafts that were not properly heat treated. Not sure that's true or not. I've requested the dealer to save all old parts so I can mail them back to GM one at a time or in wishful thinking that there may at some time be a recall. huh.
Old May 13th, 2017, 6:55 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do Like I did and get rid of the AFM. I had nearly 230k miles on my Tahoe before I did the AFM delete. Changed the oil pump as well and timing chain. I expect to get another 200k out of this motor. It runs great and total parts cost was just under 500 bucks. Did the labor myself. Had someone to do the tuning to disable the AFM crap...FWIW I iwll never ever buy a Dodge or a Ford and FWIW they all have some kind of problems.
Old June 14th, 2017, 10:20 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2012 Silverado with the 5.3L AFM - Camshaft and Lifter Failure

I bought a 2012 Silverado crew cab Z71 4x4 brand new in May 2012. Since that time, the truck had been pretty dependable. I put a lot of miles on it for commuting to work and traveling to see family. Right now, it has less than 118,000 miles on it. It's ALWAYS been serviced by a GM dealership. Any issue taken care of by a GM dealership.

Last Monday, I heard a "chirping" sound coming from the engine. I initially thought it was the water pump. I asked a couple of mechanics if that was it. "Nope. It's coming from the engine itself." I took it to a GM dealership. They take a day to tell me the camshaft and lifters must be replaced and it will cost $6000 for that or $8000 for a new engine! On a 5 year old truck with 118,000 miles on it?!!!! Are you kidding me?

I turned around and called GM. Since It's out of warranty through mileage (18,000 miles) and time (one month), GM will only do so much. The dealership that services the truck will change out the camshaft and lifters for only $2400 (with GM help)!

Considering this appears to be a design flaw with the AFM engines, you would think the company that crows about the "longest lasting vehicles on the road" would take care of this matter. I paid a lot of money for this truck. I don't appreciate it when the damn thing has a major engine failure at 5 years and I have to pay a lot of money to fix it. This should not happen to these engines!

GM wants customer loyalty. How about you show that you are worthy of it?
The following users liked this post:
Melanie Hooey (August 7th, 2021)
Old June 15th, 2017, 4:28 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can buy the parts at Texas Speed.com for under 700.00 including a cam and it is mostly a day job. Well worth the money.
Old June 15th, 2017, 5:35 AM
CF Beginner

I got ride of my 2010 5.3. Not everyone has the tools or ability to change the cam. Since you stated it was serviced by a GM dealer I would assume you prefer not to do your own work.
I will offer a few things to consider, but will not endorse any. They all are reasonable but all have risk and issues.
1. Take the offer and pay the $2400. It is far more help then many have posted they have been offered. Most have 0 help.
2. Trade it in and get the V6 4.3l with tow package. With the right gear ratio you can not tell the power loss from a V8 to the V6
3. Have it fixed at discounted shop. ( But I doubt you will get it less then $2400 unless you do it yourself.

Here is what sticks in my guts. GM would not give me any help or even a crippled crap a crutch. The question is how long will the new cam last? It seems the rest of the truck will last a long time.
But you may be in the same place 2 years from now. Then again maybe not. I wonder how the engines have done after the cam repair. I have not looked into the risk of repeat failure.
The other issue is the carbon fouling the pistons in these engines or massive oil use. Seems your at the time. It seems to come early at 30k miles or wait to 140K Seems time
Old June 15th, 2017, 3:01 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Silver7
Have been a GM owner for three decades. Follow proper maintenance schedules and have had great luck with truck engines, normally get over 300,000 miles before selling or gifting away.

At 145,000 miles(primarily highway and weekend hunting trips), the check engine comes on, truck runs rough, acts like it has a serious miss and receive the messages: Service Stabilitrac & Traction Control. Thought maybe a plug or two had fouled out or some other minor issue. Wishful thinking... need new lifters and camshaft. Sound familiar? I've now read several examples of this exact issue. Evidently, when some of the cylinders shut down, the lifters don't get adequately lubricated, causing failure/collapse, also damaging the camshaft. This results in a several thousand dollar repair bill that GM will not cost share due to expired warranty. I think it's a design flaw they should assist with. Maybe with all the financial troubles GM has experienced, their vehicle quality has suffered. Did I mention both front power locks failed at about 120,000 miles?

If you own an AFM equipped vehicle, be sure to swap it off before the warranty period expires. My chevy experience has come to an end. It's unfortunate, as I really like the style, handling and performance other than the faulty engine.
Finally got rid of my Chevy afm problems

Quick Reply: 2008 5.3l AFM "Blown" Lifters & Camshaft $$$$