Notices
2007 - 2013 (GMT900) Section for all discussion related to the 2007-2013 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.
Old July 22nd, 2015, 5:01 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

2008 Silverado dash cracking

Search this Thread

Old February 21st, 2013, 1:43 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay2536
I love my Silverado, but I think I've bought my last one. I notice a crack in my dashboard this morning. I treat my truck like new, but this is the most recent of a lot of issues I've had with this truck. I've had a leak in the sunroof and had to replace the locks of four doors. The sunroof and three of the doors were under warranty. The fourth door and the dashboard are not. I've had more issues with this $40,000 truck then I ever had with my $6000 POS truck that wasn't US made.
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Jay2536,

I’m sorry you are experiencing this issue with your vehicle. I would like to look into this further for you. In order to proceed, please PM me the following information: your full name, address, phone number, vehicle mileage, VIN and the name and city of your dealer.

I look forward to your reply.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old March 13th, 2013, 2:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I noticed the first crack on the airbag in Oct of 2010. Took it in to the dealer and was told I missed my warranty by two weeks but they would see if the trim warranty covered it. I received a phone call a few days later notifying me that it isn't covered. If the airbag deploys is there going to be plastic shrapnel flying thru the truck? Sometime in Dec. of 2010 a huge crack develops over the gauge cluster. Truck is only two years old at this time with less than 20k on it. I was very proud of my truck. I am upset about this. It needs to be taken care of.
The following users liked this post:
BustedPlastic (August 2nd, 2021)
Old March 13th, 2013, 3:38 PM
Official GM Rep

Originally Posted by rcjunky007
I noticed the first crack on the airbag in Oct of 2010. Took it in to the dealer and was told I missed my warranty by two weeks but they would see if the trim warranty covered it. I received a phone call a few days later notifying me that it isn't covered. If the airbag deploys is there going to be plastic shrapnel flying thru the truck? Sometime in Dec. of 2010 a huge crack develops over the gauge cluster. Truck is only two years old at this time with less than 20k on it. I was very proud of my truck. I am upset about this. It needs to be taken care of.
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> rcjunky007,

I am sorry you are experiencing this issue with your vehicle. I would like to look into this further. In order to proceed, please provide (via PM or email) the following information: your full name, address, phone number, vehicle mileage, VIN and the name and city of your dealer.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old March 21st, 2013, 11:37 AM
CF Beginner

I'm having the same issue. Two cracks. One right by the instrument cluster and another by the passenger air bag. It's very disappointing. I spent all that money and keep up with my vehicle and not even a year after owning it, it falls apart.
Old March 22nd, 2013, 2:58 PM
CF Beginner

I'm not sure I understand how this isn't a recall. If you search on google about this you will find tons of sites with reports of the same thing. All reporting the same cracking in the same exact places. Search youtube and you will find video's, one vary particular one pointing out 6 trucks in the same video with the same problem as we are all having.

I'm truly disappointed.
Old March 23rd, 2013, 9:06 AM
Official GM Rep

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> supr2nr,

Please PM the following information so I can look into this further for you: your full name, address, phone number, vehicle mileage, VIN and the name and city of your dealer.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old June 29th, 2013, 11:30 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2007 Silverado with 144,000 miles just had the dash crack by the passenger air bag. was not aware this was a problem until I google searched and found lots of other similar pictures and complaints.
Old July 9th, 2013, 11:33 AM
CF Beginner

I bought my 2009 off the Chevy lot in January. Very clean in fact like new and have had nothing but issues since then. Every time I go in its a hundred dollars which is better than full price, but I was just there at Chevy 2 weeks ago getting 2 leaky inter cooler lines fixed.
Now this morning a crack on the dash right next to the airbag
. I use a sunshade and always leave my windows cracked open during excessive heat. I called Chevy where I live and they are going to what they can do and was told by the service advisor this was phenomena occurring a lot with Tahoes' and trucks'

I hope they handle this at the dealer, I cant believe how many issues I have had in 5 months of ownership. I do feel better knowing i am not alone on this but it is unfortunate for people to experience it.
Old July 10th, 2013, 6:26 AM
CF Active Member

I have the same problem with my wifes 2010 Tahoe
Old July 12th, 2013, 2:26 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Jay2536
I love my Silverado, but I think I've bought my last one. I notice a crack in my dashboard this morning. I treat my truck like new, but this is the most recent of a lot of issues I've had with this truck. I've had a leak in the sunroof and had to replace the locks of four doors. The sunroof and three of the doors were under warranty. The fourth door and the dashboard are not. I've had more issues with this $40,000 truck then I ever had with my $6000 POS truck that wasn't US made.

I have an 09 HD 2500 LTZ 23000 miles, same problem!
I'm so disappointed there are no words!!

Quick Reply: 2008 Silverado dash cracking