Notices
2007 - 2013 (GMT900) Section for all discussion related to the 2007-2013 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

2013 Silverado 1500 shut off while driving

Search this Thread

Old January 8th, 2023, 4:24 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 Silverado 1500 shut off while driving

2013 Silverado 1500 shut off while driving while I was going 70 miles per hour down the highway. And now it cranks but won’t fire over. I’ve replaced the spark plugs and the fuel pump is still fully functional. I’ve even tried to start it with starting fluid and I’ve still yet to be able to start it. It had 40 psi oil pressure and still does when I try to start it. The battery is still good, alternator is good and, I’ve got 3/4 tank of gas.
Old January 9th, 2023, 10:46 AM
Banned

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default It happened to me

I have experienced this in the past also .
In My case it was a faulty Crankshaft sensor .
In your case it can be the same OR a camshaft sensor OR a fuel pump relay OR any number of missing / poor ground connections .
The “Parts Cannon” is a very expensive way to troubleshoot ……
What you need is a high quality scanner to (1) access diagnostics codes (2) a good quality multi-meter to test for bad / open connections and proper relay functions (3) a set of relay test devices that allow access to relay terminals for diagnostic testing (4) Lots of patience (5) A reliable source of technical information to know what is (a) supposed to happen and when ( b) where to test for the proper operation / function.
Your engine will not start if the ECM does not see rotation from the Crankshaft And Or the Camshaft . Your engine will also Not start if there is no/low Fuel Pressure . Your engine is unlikely to start if any or more than one ground conductor has broken or has a bad connection .
CLEAN , SOLID ground connections are CRITICAL for Proper ECM function . And Lastly Check ALL of your UnderHood fuses with a multimeter for continuity , While they may look good if they are corroded at the base like 6 of mine were then you can also be experiencing issues with the CAN data Buss not allowing communication between all of the vehicles modules .

If you are not willing to invest in proper tools then you should probably have it repaired professionally or seek help from a friend that has proper tools .

Best of luck , You Tube is a great source of troubleshooting information if you possess basic mechanical common sense . You Tube is NOT a fix it all site and be sure to view more than one proposed “FIX” before you try anything .
Lastly , When it comes to parts “New does Not = GOOD” While New parts have a higher probability of being good there is still a chance that you CAN get a “BAD New Part “ This is why you need to perform proper troubleshooting and need Good quality diagnostics tools as mentioned .
Old January 17th, 2023, 12:45 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My timing chain had jumped and that’s what caused my problem.
Old January 17th, 2023, 9:52 PM
Banned

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default surprised

Originally Posted by tazzmaniac
My timing chain had jumped and that’s what caused my problem.
WOW I never would have guessed a timing chain issue . Good job finding that on an LS engine .
Kinda curious how you found that was the issue since you do not have a distributor to look at for a point of reference …. I suppose you could use a dial indicator and degree wheel on the crank to check proper valve timing from TDC .
The following users liked this post:
lloyd barrios≠≠ (May 4th, 2023)