Notices
2007 - 2013 (GMT900) Section for all discussion related to the 2007-2013 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Checking check engine light code without scanner

Search this Thread

Old April 8th, 2019, 7:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Checking check engine light code without scanner

I would like to be able to check my check engine code with out the scanner. Its inconvenient and should be doable without one. My Nissan you play with the ignition and brakes and it blinks it out for you. I have searched a lot and am not finding the information I need for it to display the codes and erase them. I have a 2010 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD with a 6.0L

Does anyone know the steps you must take to initiate the code display with long and short blinks? Thanks
Old April 8th, 2019, 8:51 PM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

gm does have some uses for the brakes and headlight switch but i dont ever recall a way to check the CEL, except for the pre 96 vehicles (obd1). they do cell cheap small readers for under $30 that you could keep in the glovebox or a tool box
Old April 8th, 2019, 10:02 PM
Super Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 557 Posts

As far as I know, you need a tool for a 2010.
Old April 8th, 2019, 11:15 PM
CF Active Member

Location: Currently the Candian Gander is wintering over in New York.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Originally Posted by pmhanson1
I would like to be able to check my check engine code with out the scanner. Its inconvenient and should be doable without one. My Nissan you play with the ignition and brakes and it blinks it out for you. I have searched a lot and am not finding the information I need for it to display the codes and erase them. I have a 2010 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD with a 6.0L

Does anyone know the steps you must take to initiate the code display with long and short blinks? Thanks
I don't. But if you figure out how to pull up any codes without a reader on a post '96 vehicle I would sure be interested in how you do it.
Old April 9th, 2019, 2:10 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by pmhanson1
For best OBD2 scan tools click here
Hello!
On older GM cars, you've could bridge two pins on OBD port, using a piece of wire. This would give you a 'blink code' - effectivly, a check engine light would blink, giving a two digit code.
But, this will not work on a 2010 car.
I am sure you have a smartphone, right? Why not getting a bluetooth OBD2 adapter and an application like Torque lite or similar.
Old April 9th, 2019, 7:39 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

kazoocruiser is correct. anything obdI….ie 95 and older can flash out codes. anything 96 and newer is obdII and require a scan tool.

Nissan were allowed more time to be obdII compliant cause they couldn't get there **** together in time...they had both obdI and obdII diagnostic connectors until 2000 on some models.
Old April 15th, 2019, 4:27 AM
CF Beginner

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by harveyspecter
Hello!
On older GM cars, you've could bridge two pins on OBD port, using a piece of wire. This would give you a 'blink code' - effectivly, a check engine light would blink, giving a two digit code.
But, this will not work on a 2010 car.
I am sure you have a smartphone, right? Why not getting a bluetooth OBD2 adapter and an application like Torque lite or similar.
Exactly! When I was looking for complex analysis of my car's health, I just needed something, that could help me in the transformation of your smartphone and tablet into an automotive scan tool of professional grade. The previous OBD I had - couldn't offer me such thing. But then I could find obd2 bluetooth on https://bestforacar.com, and furthermore, reading this comparison article, I've found some features I've never known about bluetooth scanners.

Last edited by Gregg Garcias; April 17th, 2019 at 2:45 AM.