Notices
2007 - 2013 (GMT900) Section for all discussion related to the 2007-2013 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Flooded Start?

Search this Thread

Old January 25th, 2019, 2:59 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flooded Start?

I have a 2007.5 1500 4x4 Gas 5.3l and this thing has been a nightmare..I recently had a reman motor put in about a month ago. Within a week of that I would go out to start the truck and it would start then cut off when it dropped to idle..not start back up for a bit..crank just fine but no start. Eventually It killed the battery and I got a jump and then it started but very rough and you could smell gas. I'm concerned bc other days it wont even give me the initial start. I think its flooded maybe leaking injectors possibly?
Edit to add..this only occurs on very cold mornings after its sat overnught..the rest of the day shes fine.
Things I've already done are:

New fuel pump
New crank sensor.
Cleaned the MAF
New Cam sensor installed at motor swap..
BTW codes thrown are random multiple misfire and all ignition coils..last week it was cyl 8 misfire with ABGH ignition coils...
HELP?
Thanks in advance

Last edited by Richard Crocker; January 25th, 2019 at 3:02 PM.
Old January 25th, 2019, 7:43 PM
CF Active Member

Location: Currently the Candian Gander is wintering over in New York.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put a fuel pressure tester on the rail, and verify that the pressure isn't leaking down. Autozone has a loan-a tool that I have used a couple of times with my own issues. It's pricey to "rent" but you get your money back when you bring the thing back.

You should show 40-55 psi, and it should hold that number for a long time after shutdown.
Old January 27th, 2019, 4:59 AM
CF Beginner

Default Way past ya..all that's fine.

Originally Posted by Kazoocruiser
Put a fuel pressure tester on the rail, and verify that the pressure isn't leaking down. Autozone has a loan-a tool that I have used a couple of times with my own issues. It's pricey to "rent" but you get your money back when you bring the thing back.

You should show 40-55 psi, and it should hold that number for a long time after shutdown.
I've been watching it closely by datastream..its good. I'm now leaning toward intake manifold gasket.
Old January 27th, 2019, 8:58 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by Richard Crocker
I've been watching it closely by datastream..its good. I'm now leaning toward intake manifold gasket.

That is interesting. How does a datastream eliminate a leaking fuel injector?
Old January 30th, 2019, 2:08 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Kazoocruiser
That is interesting. How does a datastream eliminate a leaking fuel injector?
Well your fuel pressure would drop if the pump wasnt priming and engine isnt running..pull the fuse on fuel pump watch datastream closely for a while after shutting truck down..should show constant..leaking it would drop right?
Old January 30th, 2019, 2:38 PM
CF Active Member

Richard, thank you for your response.

What part of the datastream indicators are you looking at?

Can you post a picture or two?

Some testers may offer options that replace other testing methods. In this case, I am curious more than anything to see what has happened to allow you to bypass a mechanical method.