Notices
2007 - 2013 (GMT900) Section for all discussion related to the 2007-2013 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

How do I replace the input shaft seal on the transfer case? 2011 Silverado

Search this Thread

Old October 3rd, 2017, 7:53 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I replace the input shaft seal on the transfer case? 2011 Silverado

Hi gang!

Does anyone know where I can get a repair manual for a 2011 Silverado 4.8 V8 4WD (WT)?

My input shaft seal on my transfer case is leaking a bit and would like to replace it. Also does anyone know how to identify which transfer case I've got?

And one more thing sorry, when I noticed it was leaking I topped the fluid back up till it was coming out of the fill hole and put in the plug. I check it once in a while and the fluid keeps coming out of the fill hole (spills out pretty good I don't even need to take off the drain plug completely). I made sure that I was level when I filled it and that I'm level when I check it.... find that a little strange.

Thanks in advance for any ideas you guys may have!
Old October 3rd, 2017, 3:56 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Is the vent line plugged? It's a simple garlock seal, you should be able to find one locally
Old October 31st, 2017, 7:43 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
Is the vent line plugged? It's a simple garlock seal, you should be able to find one locally
Is the vent line that rubber hose on top? Seems to be coming from the tranny?
Old October 31st, 2017, 3:36 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Post a pix of it, the shaft, and seal. The vent line (could be) just a one way valve on top, about the size of your pinky finger, or a line. Follow what you suspect is the vent line. It should just got to atmosphere. If it isn't clogged you should be able to pass air through it.