Notices
2007 - 2013 (GMT900) Section for all discussion related to the 2007-2013 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

rain sensing wipers

Search this Thread

Old October 9th, 2020, 7:05 PM
CF Active Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default rain sensing wipers

can the rain sensing wipers be added on....is the wire harness under rear view....mirror.plug and play?
Old October 9th, 2020, 10:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 269 Likes on 234 Posts

There are aftermarket kits available but you get what you pay for in terms of quality and compatibility. Do your research and look for independent reviews of any kit you’re considering.
Old October 10th, 2020, 4:03 AM
CF Active Member

actually my question is if you have the wiring behind your rearview mirror,even thought the truck didnt come from the factory with it.can you just plug in a factory sensor and have the option work??
Old October 10th, 2020, 11:48 AM
CF Veteran

Possibly. What’s the details on your truck? Year, engine, single or extended cab, trim package?
Old October 10th, 2020, 12:16 PM
CF Active Member

Default Rain sensing wipers

07 silverado extended cab LT.i have the mirror with the compass and temp gauge already
Old October 10th, 2020, 2:54 PM
CF Veteran

Still depends on the details of your truck.

In 2007, GM introduced the 2nd gen Silverado, so everything about the 2007 model year has to be determined by whether it’s a Silverado Classic or Silverado.

If you’re not sure, the headlights or tailgate will tell you. The Classic design has 2 separate light housings (top and bottom, split by a grill bar through the middle) on each side and a “Chevrolet” decal (might be raised lettering - I can’t recall) on the tailgate. The new design has 1 complete light housing on each side and just a large bow tie on the tail gate.

The classic design was not equipped with rain sensing wipers, so an aftermarket add on kit would be your only choice. The new design had the option, but according to GM, the bracket for the sensor is integral to the windshield, so if the bracket were damaged, the windshield would need replacement. If your truck wasn’t originally equipped with the rain sensor, you might be able to attach a bracket for it; but honestly I can’t say I’ve seen a 2007 with the rain sensor so I’m not sure what it even looks like. GM doesn’t specify if the bracket has some role in how the sensor operates so I can’t be sure.

As for wiring, There’s probably a replacement section of the wiring harness available from GM that would have the correct plugs for the rain sensor, rear view mirror, and overhead console (if equipped).

But that still leaves functionality. The sensor is wired to the BCM, so at the very least, programming the BCM for rain sensing wipers would be necessary. Programming could be as simple as the dealer using a scan tool to turn the feature on or off; it may require overwriting the BCM software; or, Depending on how the modules were produced, it may require BCM replacement.

There’s a lot of variables to consider. First determine if you have the classic body style. If so, adding the OEM system gets much more complicated (I won’t say it can’t be done since it’s not outside the realm of possibility - it just adds a whole lot more to the list of requirements).
Old October 10th, 2020, 7:09 PM
CF Active Member

my truck is the new body style,i poped the bracket on the windshield and it looks like theres a spot for the sensor to go .i guess it will be a leap of faith.ill buy one..plug it in and see what happens......stay tuned
Old October 10th, 2020, 7:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

I think you will still need a way to activate it - our '20 Tahoe has a button labeled auto on the stock to activate the sensor function