Notices
2014 - 2018 (GMT-K2) Section for all discussion related to the 2014 - 2018 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

2017 Vacuum Pump 'recall'

Search this Thread

Old February 6th, 2021, 8:11 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 Vacuum Pump 'recall'

My 2017 Silverado has been having weird brake issues. When pushing the brake pedal down a couple times in a row while creeping, it would get soft and not brake sometime. Look up "recall vacuum pump Silverado" on the web. Anyway.... long story short, I just got a new vacuum pump on GM's dime due to this issue. The service rep at the dealership treated me like I was trying to rob them or something. They got mad when I called it a "recall" and snapped back with "it's NOT a recall! It's a factory extended warranty on this part!" Not sure why this is such a sore subject, but I was treated like garbage the whole time I was at the dealer. You will have to pursue this yourself. They won't send you a notice, which is a huge fail on GM's part. Also..... my #5 ignition coil went out a few days ago. AND my engine oil was very low without any evidence of leaking or burning. This is a mystery to me, but I have read that the oil leak can be related to the vacuum pump. I have 45K miles on this truck, and I treat it very well. I'm very disappointed with this product, the company and service at present. My family has been GM truck owners for 4 generations now (My G-grandpa's 5 window 1950 is still running). Hopefully this thread will help someone else out if they are experiencing brake issues, as well as knowing what to expect from the dealership. Not sure what truck I'm going to purchase next. Any Tundra fans out there?

Last edited by captain belly; February 6th, 2021 at 8:14 AM.
Old February 6th, 2021, 9:33 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 92 Likes on 83 Posts

Hi Cap,
Don't feel badly, just about all manufacturers have problems., including Tundra.
Depending on location and circumstances , you might get better service from a different dealership.
Whether warranty or not, the service dept. carries the dealership through tough times when sales are hurting.. Smart and wise service managers will usually try to accommodate a customer or potential customer , it looks good and helps pay the bills, lol.
Suggest trying a different dealership, they are out there and usually willing to help,you just have to find them.
The following users liked this post:
captain belly (February 7th, 2021)