Notices
2014 - 2018 (GMT-K2) Section for all discussion related to the 2014 - 2018 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Major Engine Problems 2018 6.0

Search this Thread

Old September 4th, 2018, 10:44 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Major Engine Problems 2018 6.0

2018, 2500HD, Silverado, 4WD, 6.0 Engine, Reg Bed, Extended Cab

I've been a loyal Chevy owner for a long time. Have purchased 4 or 5 new Chevy pickups since the early 80's. Nothing but perfect reliability up until now. Maybe a water pump here and there, but nothing like this. Just retired, purchased another new Chevy. Getting ready for lots of travel. Not happening with this one, now we're afraid to drive it to down to the grocery store.

Truck has been in for engine failure 3 times:
1st time - 1 Failed lifter and broken rocker arm 3/28/18 - 678 miles
2nd time - Multiple bent push rods, broken rocker arms, and failed lifters - 4/17/18 - 976 miles
3rd time - Oil Pump Failure, Metal found in oil pump - 8/16/18 - 3408 miles

The oil pump went out on a trip from California to Colorado. Got 900 miles into my planned 1000 mile trip and was stuck in a trailer park for 6 days. Never did make it to my bucket list destination.

From what I have researched, generally this 6.0 engine is pretty much bullet proof. Not this one. I believe this particular one has some underlying lubrication system issues. Pretty darn rare for lifters to go bad on a new engine. Multiple lifters....unheard of. Metal in the oil pump....not good.

My fear is that this engine is now compromised. It may run OK for a while, but what about 10 - 20 -30K down the road?

I asked that the engine be replaced when it went in the second time for lifters. GM would not approve it. After the oil pump nightmare I started a case with GM Customer Service. Asked for engine replacement or truck buyback. A rather slow and painful process so far. The rep I've talked to is more concerned about reimbursing my expenses while stuck in the RV park. My main priority is to get a new engine or a new truck. That concern seems to be secondary to him and he keeps telling me to contact my Customer Experience Manager, but hasn't told me who that is, or how to get in touch with them.

Not very happy at this point in time. I hope GM comes through with the new engine or a buy back. Seems like the new engine back in April would have saved them money in the long run. Certainly would have helped them retain a loyal customer. Not feeling so loyal to GM right now.

Thanks for allowing me to vent my frustrations. Maybe someone on this forum or some of the other GM truck forums that I'll be posting to, can offer some hope, or advice, or share a similar experience and what steps they took to resolve it.

To be fair, I'll certainly follow up this post with the outcome. I hope it has a happy ending.
Old September 4th, 2018, 3:58 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reading that,turned my stomach,I wish the best for you
Old September 5th, 2018, 8:31 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

look into your state's lemon law and see if it qualifies for buy back.
Old September 6th, 2018, 4:31 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by geo1
Reading that,turned my stomach,I wish the best for you
Mine as well. Tech2 is correct. Lemon law should be applied. It'll only get worse, most likely.
Old September 6th, 2018, 7:34 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the replies and advice guys. Still trying to work it through GM. I'll give them a little more time to make it right. Not real hopeful. I'll update if anything moves in a good or bad direction.
The GM customer service guy is the most frustrating. Not sure if they train them to be that way or it is just incompetence. Very strange experience.
Old September 6th, 2018, 8:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

unfortunately, the guy can only do what the company dictates. the district service manager for that dealership is who you need to speak to
Old September 6th, 2018, 8:42 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Isn't it true? someone has to start the tsb, first one or close to it,takes the beating
Old September 16th, 2018, 7:55 AM
CF Beginner

Update, GM has assigned a new Customer Service Rep. She is, at least, a much better listener than the last guy.
On the way home from Colorado the oil pressure seemed low. It is at the dealer for that problem now. They tested it and the service rep told me there is a 90% chance I will get a new engine.
Stay tuned....
Old September 17th, 2018, 5:10 AM
CF Beginner

Sorry to hear about your engine troubles. I'm following this one.

Adam
Old September 29th, 2018, 12:51 PM
CF Beginner

Hopefully my final update.
My dealer called me yesterday and said my truck is ready. I was quite surprised, because I'm still working with GM Customer Service on a buy-back. The dealer's service rep said "Really?... we just completed the install of a brand new factory fresh engine." apparently the two don't talk.
They found the oil pressure was 4psi, the cam bearings were shot, and the block was damaged beyond repair. I'm guessing where the cam rides.
So...I'm happy. New engine runs fine, and is much more quiet than the old one.
I'm supposed to talk to the GM service rep on Monday. I guess I'll tell her .... never mind.
The Service Dept guys at Jimmie Johnson Chevrolet in San Diego did a great job... Thanks!
GM / Chevy came through with the right fix....but what a painful process.