Notices
2014 - 2018 (GMT-K2) Section for all discussion related to the 2014 - 2018 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Slow starting now battery is dead

Search this Thread

Old January 3rd, 2021, 8:54 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Slow starting now battery is dead

I have a 2017 Silverado LT which I had for two years now. I am really happy with it so far. This problem cropped with in the last week. When I started it sound like the starter was dragging and it would turn over two to three times before it would start. Before that it always started on the first turn. Well today it flat out did not start. The battery would not turn the engine over. I jump started it and it cranked right up. I have one of those modules plug in my diagnose port to by past the deactivation of 4/8 cylinder. I had it in for over a year. I am wondering if this could be the problem. I thought when you turn off the switch the power goes off to. Appreciate any helpful information on this.
Old January 5th, 2021, 2:03 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same issue for my 2018

Originally Posted by hawkjr
I have a 2017 Silverado LT which I had for two years now. I am really happy with it so far. This problem cropped with in the last week. When I started it sound like the starter was dragging and it would turn over two to three times before it would start. Before that it always started on the first turn. Well today it flat out did not start. The battery would not turn the engine over. I jump started it and it cranked right up. I have one of those modules plug in my diagnose port to by past the deactivation of 4/8 cylinder. I had it in for over a year. I am wondering if this could be the problem. I thought when you turn off the switch the power goes off to. Appreciate any helpful information on this.
I had the same thing happen and it seems to go from good one day to bad the next. I changed out the battery and everything is fine. I live in Florida and was surprised that the battery lasted as long as it did. I don't think the AFM delete device had anything to do with the battery drain these trucks have so many things that put draw on the battery that once you loose a cell or two in the battery it won't hold a charge. I had even put a charger/tender on for a week while I was gone but it only allowed me 3 starts before it was dead.
Old January 5th, 2021, 4:28 PM
CF Monarch

Received 343 Likes on 324 Posts

Have the battery tested. I am lucky to get 2 1/2 years out of a battery these days.
Old January 6th, 2021, 6:04 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the reply. I had the battery checked at Auto Zone and they advise it had dead cells. I had it replace and it now starts on the first turn. That battery last at lease 4 years.

PS: Oldchevy: I lived in Miami back in the early 70's.for a few years before I joined the Army. I migrated from the Savannah Ga. area. Yes I am old but I still drive a Chevy.
Old January 6th, 2021, 7:25 AM
CF Monarch

Received 343 Likes on 324 Posts

I am old too and still drive a chevy and always will. On my 99 Silverado I would get almost 5 years on a battery, but now on my 13 Silverado 2 1/2 is the best I can get.