Astro 1985-2005
Chevy's first entry into the minivan class, offered in All Wheel Drive to add to its versatility.
Platform: M-Body

bad luck burns

Search this Thread

Old March 15th, 2016, 6:09 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bad luck burns

Hi, for my first post I'd like to plead with someone to help me diagnose why my '04 Astro cargo van with app 77k miles won't start. I've had some problems in the last few years. Engine wise, I'm on my third distributor cap in two years. I had to get a new starter about a year ago.

So one day about six weeks ago I jump in there and in won't turn over. Oh, the battery is about three years old. Tried jumping.

So rather than sit on my hands any longer, I decided to try to at least figure out what I need to have done. I've got some tools and I've taken the dog house off before. Sometime this week I'm taking that thing off again and, hopefully with y'alls help, figure it out. Maybe it's another bad starter? Maybe a spark plug/cable issue? That's going to be my first try although it didn't SOUND like that prior to it quitting on me. It sounded like it did when the starter went bad; kind of a grinding noise. I have no clue. I'm inept at cars.

So anyone want to help? I could really use some. I'm out of work with barely enough money to survive. I was in the middle of a massive job search which was very derailed by my lovely van.

Let me know what I need to tell you to help me help you help me. Yes, wow, thank you.
Old March 16th, 2016, 6:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

you must rule out the battery first. jumping to another vehicle does not mean the battery is not the problem. a bad cell in a battery will drain all current from a booster battery. so fully charge the battery then get the battery load tested before you do anything else.

swapping out the battery with a known good battery is another option,
Old March 17th, 2016, 2:23 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks, I swapped battery with friends and still not starting. Charging my battery now. It tried to turn over for a second but just went dead silent. I'm fixin to take off dog house in the very near future. Maybe a spark plug or wire issue? What do you suggest?
Old March 19th, 2016, 10:02 PM
Super Moderator

if it won't crank over, its not spark related. its starting system related.

when the key is turned to start, do you hear the starter solenoid on the starter make a single click noise.....indicating the start request is being sent to the solenoid?
Old March 25th, 2016, 8:26 AM
CF Beginner

Sorry for the delay in responding.

When I turn the key half way, I don't hear a click exactly. I hear something turning on. Is that the starter?
Old March 25th, 2016, 1:46 PM
Super Moderator

tuning the key halfway means what? the key cylinder is indexed: lock, run, start and if you go back from lock, accessory,

find the starter relay in the underhood fuse box. put your finger on it while some turns the key to start...you should feel and hear it click.

find the starter. on the starter, there should be 2 studs with wires going to them. one is a large cable from the battery and the other a small wire from the ignition switch.
the large stud should have power at all times. the small stud should only have power when the key is turned to start. check for power at the small stud when the key is turned to start.

report your findings.