Notices
2014 - 2018 (GMT-K2) Section for all discussion related to the 2014 - 2018 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

USB port not playing music/media

Search this Thread

Old December 2nd, 2021, 3:05 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same issue

I Have a 2011 equinox and I recently downloaded the IOS 15.1 update on my IPhone 11 and noticed my phone charging by USB but no media playing. Must be the IOS update… much harder fix in this case. My IPad 4th Gen works perfectly fine but it’s difficult to have an iPad to play music.
Old December 3rd, 2021, 4:25 PM
CF Beginner

Default This worked for me !!

Originally Posted by katerinadawn
https://idmsa.apple.com/IDMSWebAuth/...v=2&view=1#ios

Copy and paste this link. You have to sign up for the beta version of future updates.
this immediately worked !
Old January 17th, 2022, 3:00 PM
CF Beginner

Default Fix

I just updated to 15.2 iOS and it works. I can play my music now.
Old January 30th, 2022, 8:28 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2011 suburban

I have iOS 15.2 and it is still not working with my 2011 suburban ltz. Think an update would fix it? I have an iPhone 13max.
Old February 15th, 2022, 11:56 AM
CF Beginner

Default Potential Solution

HAVE A SOLUTION: I have a 2015 Chevrolet Silverado that has the same issue. I have an iPhone XS Max running iOS 15.3. I did not have the truck before iOS 15.1 when the issue became known, so I cannot attest if the update to 15.1 was the issue. Nonetheless, I found an old iPod Touch 4th gen in my drawer and I plugged it in and it worked. Then I switched the cable to my iPhone XS Max and the truck immediately recognized the iOS 15.3 device. Originally it told me that no devices were found, but now it does. I shut the truck off, switched to radio and back to "Media" and I did not need to use the iPod again. I am not sure how long this loophole will last and how often I will have to reconnect the iPod before my iPhone, but until Apple releases a new update fixing the issue, connecting an older device first to get to the media screen up and switching to your desired phone seems to work.
Old February 15th, 2022, 12:26 PM
CF Beginner

Default Short solution?

I do something similar-

I have found it works when I have the music app open and playing music when I plug it in. It recognizes it as media to play and it works. Hopefully it gets fixed soon! It’s not really a problem just another step to listen to my music or podcasts.
Old October 22nd, 2022, 9:56 AM
CF Beginner

Default Found something

Found this on an other form page and it works for my 2013 Silverado LTZ “You need at least one song in your iTunes app. In order for the Infotainment system to recognize your iPhone when you connect it using a USB cable you MUST have at least one song in your phones iTunes app. My iPhone XS Max on iOS 12.X.X was having the same issue and as soon as I put a song into iTunes, it worked.”
Old March 10th, 2023, 12:30 AM
CF Beginner

Default USB Charges but no music!!!

Originally Posted by Avatar8885
I have a 2012 Cruze 2LT and mine just started this the other day. I have the iPhone 8, could it maybe be the new ios 15.1 update messing with it somehow? Same issue, will charge and won't play music.
HERE IS THE FIX!!! Guaranteed

play ONE song from APPLE MUSIC. this will pop the iPod option back up and allow you to play music from your iPhone again!! After IOS 15.1 my 2013 Yukon Denali would not play music with just the USB cable. I was pissed. I bought and installed a new USB port in the center consul box, nope!! I used an AUX cable for awhile but was ready to buy a whole new radio. $1200. Talked to Chevy service, no help. Finally a professional car audio guy suggested that it was a software issue. Hours online, calling Critchfield, being on hold and never getting a real answer. Found this forum and BAM!! One iPod song from Apple Music!! Man do I feel good!!! Thank you god for persistentes!!!!
Old October 12th, 2023, 6:21 PM
CF Beginner

Default I have iPhone 15

Originally Posted by Avatar8885
I have a 2012 Cruze 2LT and mine just started this the other day. I have the iPhone 8, could it maybe be the new ios 15.1 update messing with it somehow? Same issue, will charge and won't play music.
I just got the brand new iPhone 15 and before that I had the iPhone 13 when we first got our suburban it worked fine and then he started using the aux cord in the car and now all of a sudden the USB won’t work. I don’t know if it has anything to do with that, but it’s pissing me off !
Old March 9th, 2024, 7:18 PM
CF Beginner

Default Playing through Android.

I have an iPhone. Most the time Spotify works, but sometimes I have to open Apple Music in order to play Spotify. However, my husband has an android and I have never been able to get it to play in the car. Does anyone have any solutions for android? I was thinking about making the change.

Also, The option to skip on my steering wheel has stopped working. If I skip to the next song using my steering wheel option, the music mute, but says it’s still playing has happened to anyone else?

Quick Reply: USB port not playing music/media