Notices
2019+ Silverado (GMT-T1) Section for all discussion related to the 2019+ Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra.

2020 chevy 3500 dually high country trailer connection issue

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2020, 1:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2020 chevy 3500 dually high country trailer connection issue

Hello,
I have an issue with my trailers and connection testers both 7 and 4 way plugs, multiple trailers tested. When I plug my trailer into the truck, it recognizes trailer brakes connected however it does not recognize a trailer has been connected, It keeps the running lights on the trailer on constantly regardless of lights on truck on or off even if you turn off the truck and walk away from it with the key, neither right or left signal or brake have any power again regardless of which trailer it is or tester. Anyone have this happen or maybe even have a fix to try? I also had a couple times where the truck said check trailer wiring after the trailer was unplugged, I have tirelessly confirmed the issue is not with the trailer, i have also tried it with one trailer with all led and another older trailer with all standard bulbs... I'm lost
Old October 26th, 2020, 4:34 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2019 z71 with advanced trailer issues

I have had issues with my trailer package as well. My manual says day light lights are on automatically when connected but they aren’t. Also I physically do the light tests but the trailer package won’t pass the test.

I got a message in the DIC that the trailer brakes failed at 62mph weeks after I had the trailer connected. Not sure why the delay in my DIC.

I’m still under warranty and will be bringing it in to the shop.
Old October 26th, 2020, 4:43 PM
CF Beginner

Turns out I had a bad trailer control module due to a bare wire from factory which shorted out the control module, 3 weeks to bring the part in and now the lights work, however the system does not sense trailer brakes connected now, however when you set up each trailer it also stores where you had the gain set for each so i just ignore the trailer brakes not connected message as it does still control the brakes properly. Joys of changing a tried and tested system that didn't need a whole seperate computer control added to it. I will be bringing it to the attention of the dealership when it goes for its first oil change next week.

When it properly works it does have the advantage of not setting gain each different trailer but lets not kid ourselves, that wasn't exactly hard to do.
The following users liked this post:
2019star (October 26th, 2020)
Old October 26th, 2020, 4:49 PM
CF Beginner

Default I did have other codes related to electrical

I had 20 codes show up when I had a shop do OBDII. Some where overlapping but did mention open or shorts in wiring. The codes did clear out but I’ve kept the screen shots from the shop.

Did you get any DTC codes?

Thank you
Old October 26th, 2020, 5:26 PM
CF Beginner

I didn't ask the shop, but they did send me away the first time saying nothing was wrong with it, so my guess would be no codes showing as it was a Chevy dealership. I believe the mechanic put the solid state brake control tester on it instead of the proper 7 way tester as as soon as I picked it up (after hours so no one was available) I threw my 7 way light tester on it to test and same problem, when I called in the morning they commented that the led 7 way testers often don't have enough resistance to test it properly. When I reached my trailer it was no good, same issue. Upon return I had the shop foreman run the test in front of me to assure me it wasn't an intermittent problem and sure enough correct tester and done while I watched it didn't control any lights. However it still didn't show him a fault so after a sleep over there at the dealership the only thing they could find was a short, after repairing it, still no light function, they simply ordered a new trailer light control module, which after a long wait for it to arrive direct from Chevy (aparently coded to the specific truck) since I asked if they could take one off a demo model to test and shorten the wait times. Fixed enough of the problem for me to comfortably tow a vehicle. My fifth wheel is 42 feet long so I really need signals and brakes to feel comfortable towing through city's.
The following users liked this post:
2019star (October 26th, 2020)
Old October 26th, 2020, 7:46 PM
CF Beginner

Default Safe Travels.

Thank you