Notices
2019+ Silverado (GMT-T1) Section for all discussion related to the 2019+ Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra.

2021 Chevy 1500 popping sound under hood

Search this Thread

Old April 23rd, 2021, 11:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2021 Chevy 1500 -problem ! popping sound under hood

Hi everyone, really hoping someone can share some knowledge on a problem I have just started to encounter with my truck. I have a 2021 Chevrolet 1500 Ltz z71 with the 5.3 v8 with only 3k miles. Recently upon start up I have been hearing a loud popping sound (almost like metal hitting a heat shield or better reference to as a popcorn sound ) under the hood. It only has been happening after the truck sits parked for a few hours then starts but goes away shortly after driving . Took It to the dealership today and they claimed they could not replicate the problem but if It happens again bring It in. Now I get into It after picking It up and the sound happens again. Any clue on what to do or what may be causing this sound ? I will try and get a video the next time I start It . Anything will help .

Last edited by Ryguy0126; April 24th, 2021 at 12:03 AM.
Old April 24th, 2021, 4:15 PM
CF Beginner

I have the same problem and am trying to figure out what it is as well.
Old April 24th, 2021, 4:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

Leave it with the dealer and use their loaner until they figure it out,
Old April 24th, 2021, 6:56 PM
CF Beginner

Update : got a video of the sound today. Dealership is going to take another look at It Monday but they honestly have no clue what It might be coming from and are confused why It only happens when the engine is cold.
Old April 24th, 2021, 7:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

Bet it's something to do with rapidly heating exhaust components; I would be pretty adamant that I want a loaner and they need to keep it till they figure it out!
The following users liked this post:
Ryguy0126 (April 24th, 2021)
Old April 24th, 2021, 9:06 PM
CF Beginner

I will be leaving It with them till they figure It out but hopefully they can figure It out since the sound only lasts for about 20 seconds upon start up after It sits for a few hours . The exhaust options really sounds like a possibility .
Old April 27th, 2021, 1:36 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ryguy0126
Hi everyone, really hoping someone can share some knowledge on a problem I have just started to encounter with my truck. I have a 2021 Chevrolet 1500 Ltz z71 with the 5.3 v8 with only 3k miles. Recently upon start up I have been hearing a loud popping sound (almost like metal hitting a heat shield or better reference to as a popcorn sound ) under the hood. It only has been happening after the truck sits parked for a few hours then starts but goes away shortly after driving . Took It to the dealership today and they claimed they could not replicate the problem but if It happens again bring It in. Now I get into It after picking It up and the sound happens again. Any clue on what to do or what may be causing this sound ? I will try and get a video the next time I start It . Anything will help .
That sounds like the collapsed lifter concern a lot of the 2019 and newer 5.3L engines are having . GM is even building some Silverado's without the AFM and DFM lifters as of march with RPO code YK9. I've had 2 with that same issue. both being collapsed lifters and bent intake pushrods, with one of them also needing a camshaft. Parts are even starting to get backordered with as many as were seeing come through the dealer
Old June 3rd, 2021, 1:27 AM
CF Beginner

My 2020 RST with only 3600 miles is in the shop for the same problem
Old June 25th, 2021, 9:48 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by rubenl
My 2020 RST with only 3600 miles is in the shop for the same problem
My 5.3 RST had a bad lifter, dealership replaced all the left side bank…head gaskets were on back order causing a delay…after two weeks I got truck back. Drove it for one day before engine again was making noise. Returned it and they thought it was a bad water pump. They replaced and noise was still evident. Replaced again, still didn’t correct. Now they claim it was a defective head gasket “per a TSB” which led to the noise in the cooling system…I opened a claim with GM for “buyback”
Old August 16th, 2021, 1:33 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2021 GMC 1500 Denali 5.3 Engine Clacking

Originally Posted by rubenl
My 5.3 RST had a bad lifter, dealership replaced all the left side bank…head gaskets were on back order causing a delay…after two weeks I got truck back. Drove it for one day before engine again was making noise. Returned it and they thought it was a bad water pump. They replaced and noise was still evident. Replaced again, still didn’t correct. Now they claim it was a defective head gasket “per a TSB” which led to the noise in the cooling system…I opened a claim with GM for “buyback”
Mine is making a clacking sound after sitting 10-15 minutes on a warm restart.
Video with sound.

Quick Reply: 2021 Chevy 1500 popping sound under hood