Notices
2019+ Silverado (GMT-T1) Section for all discussion related to the 2019+ Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra.

Bose "Premium" Sound System

Search this Thread

Old April 27th, 2023, 11:29 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Bose "Premium" Sound System

Folks - I have a 2022 Silverado RST refresh with the "premium" sound system. It's terrible!
Most of the sound comes from the dash - no adjustments for speaker level inputs - only fading from front to rear.
I called Bose and they are no help - referred me to the dealer.
I went to the dealer - no help - they say "it's designed a certain way and there are no adjustments".
So....anyone know if there is any way to adjust sound level by channel (like a normal system that has functionality!)
Any other ideas if you have the same problems?
Old April 28th, 2023, 7:02 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have it in my 2022 LTZ as well and I am not impressed. I have to say it does sound really good, hearing things in songs I did not hear in my 2016 F150 King Ranch with the Sony system, crisp and crystal clear but the power just isn't there and definitely lacking in the bass department. I moved the fader more to the rear speakers and that helped a lot.

I am going to try and add a powered sub unit as well, nothing crazy but I need to take the rear seat out and try to figure out how much space is back there. I am hoping I can fit a kicker hideaway HS8 or HS10 behind the rear passenger seat. There has to be 3 1/2 inches of space back there but maybe not. I have been trying to find a video or something where somebody shows the space really well but haven't found one yet. I am thinking with all the differences that can be in these vehicles I just need to pull the back seat and check what is back there for 100% sure. I think an 8 would be fine for me but I would get the 10 if it fits. I just put a 12 inch JL Audio hidden spare tire sub (fits in the rim of the spare tire in my daughters CRV). Previously had a ported box with a punch 12 and a 600 watt amp that took up half the room in the back. I was blown away! It sounds every bit as good as the old setup! Kicker is a great company and I see their speakers in these newer Ford systems as well as the GM setup that goes under the rear seat. I don't know how they do it but if their hideaway box sounds as good as JL's stuff it will be more than sufficient for me. I use the full floor in my vehicle a lot in the back so I don't want something under the seats or sitting on the floor that will be in the way.

I am hoping to get something like this T harness, need to contact these places and see if they have something that will work. Most likely the subthump place. It would be great if I could get power and everything out of the T harness but I will most likely need to run a dedicated power wire to the sub system I get I am thinking. I am also not sure if it would be best to use the speaker level inputs to the powered sub or RCA's from the T harness. I am thinking speaker level so the sub amp has full frequency to work with. They also talk about the Active Noise Cancellation system and how it can cause issues so a couple things to figure out. Really expensive as well for not a lot of bass but, having it all hidden and not in the way and only maybe having to run 1 wire is worth it to me:
https://soundsgoodstereo.com/product...erado-vehicles
or
https://subthump.com/Car-Audio-Produ...t-clone-1.html

Get one of these Kicker hideaway speakers and then just have to run a power wire.
https://www.kicker.com/hideaway

This is what the Ford stock system looked like, very small and compact and very impressive for what it was. I think it was just about perfect.

Last edited by Trip; April 28th, 2023 at 7:06 AM.
Old April 28th, 2023, 11:57 AM
CF Beginner

Thx for all the details here - so helpful! I'm going to look into the Kicker Sub.

Other than the bass, I think the biggest issue is the dash speakers are too loud and the doors are not balanced to this. If I could reduce the input levels on the dash speakers, the sound would balance out.
That's a big problem with trucks, where you sit above most of the sound. My wife has an Audi A3 with a premium system (not a bose) and it's incredible. When you drive it, you are immersed in the sound of the music.

There has to be a way to manipulate the input levels - I bet they are all set the same.
Old April 28th, 2023, 12:08 PM
CF Junior Member

You can purchase a few different T harnesses. You could get one that basically disconnects the BOSE amps from the speakers and gives you wiring to the speakers from the harness you connect. You could then install your own amps/signal processors to adjust levels the way you would like. The SubThump place just shows the 2 to get you some connections to the speaker wires so you don't have to cut wires or try to find them and getting around the ANC. I saw on Youtube another guy that makes custom harnesses where you can do all kinds of stuff if you want to use the stock wiring and some of the stock components, not others.

What is ANC you ask?
Active Noise Cancellation aka ANC is present on Bose Stereos and uses microphones hidden in the door panels of your truck to pick up in-cabin noise. The mics send this information to the amp, which in-turn sends offsetting signals out to all the speakers in the vehicle to help quiet the cabin. This is a great technological feature until an aftermarket subwoofer is installed in the vehicle. The microphones begin to pick up the extra bass tones from the new subwoofer and proceed to pump the loud offsetting tones thru all the speakers and sub(s), resulting in a vicious cycle of obnoxious sound. Hence, the dreaded feedback that will persist until the ANC system is defeated. Our defeat harness is the easiest way to disable the anc. It's simply plug and play and can easily be put back to stock at any time. There are no wires to cut or mics to locate or door panels to pry off, simply plug the harness in at the amp and your finished.
Old April 28th, 2023, 1:14 PM
CF Beginner

Oh - wow. His is cool.
So it sits between the Bose amps so I can simply adjust speaker input levels?
Old April 28th, 2023, 1:34 PM
CF Junior Member

You would have to eliminate the BOSE amps and connect the speakers to something you could adjust the levels on. The T harness would get you the speakers wires right there by the BOSE amp otherwise you would have to run all new speakers wires or find and cut the speaker wires out of the system. I am not sure what OHM rating the BOSE speakers have either so you may have to get new speakers as well if they are some strange OHM rating and not the standard 4 or 8 ohm or find and amp with the same rating.
Old April 28th, 2023, 9:49 PM
CF Beginner

I got ya. I'd also need to determine if there is more than one Bose amp and then balance everything out. Man - what a poorly designed system they put into these trucks.
Old May 1st, 2023, 6:48 AM
CF Junior Member

Yes, compared to other systems it is very different. It is a great sounding system but just doesn't feel like it has a lot of power and really lacking bass at higher volumes. Especially if you have had a nice aftermarket system.
Old October 16th, 2023, 7:06 AM
CF Junior Member

I installed the 10" kicker hideaway sub and really like it. Perfect for what I was looking for. It has more bass than needed now. The BOSE system sounds really good, crisp and clear, it was just lacking bass, really lacking bass. It has plenty of power to go loud and keep the sound quality, I just needed some low end to go with it. I had to remove the foam and the rear seat storage bin because it just didn't fit well. I haven't decided where I want to put the dial for the sub volume yet either. I used the SubThump T-harness to get speaker level inputs for the sub. When I installed the ANC harness (part of the t-harness kit) the system muted and wouldn't play which kind of made me mad so I ended up not installing that part. I didn't notice any issues and I did contact subthump about it. Turns out I have the 3-port amp and only 4-port Amps have ANC and need the that part of the harness connected 3-port amps will not need the ANC plug. I have listened to BOSE, SONY, my Durango has the BEATS system, lots of different vehicles with the nicer factory systems. I love the BEATS system in my Durango, really nice system. My old 2016 F150 had the SONY system which was pretty good as well for a factory system and this setup beats those. It is pretty amazing because you can basically turn the sub off with the included remote dial you install up where it is easy to adjust and hear what you were listening to before the install. Even with the BOSE system adjusted to full bass in the sound settings there still isn't hardly any bass at all! You dial in the kicker to about half and it is just amazing! For the money I don't think anyone would be unhappy with it. I am going to mess around and try to get the compartment back in there trimming it to fit around the sub so there is a little storage and it you don't just see in behind the seat but I really don't use the compartments in the rear seats anyway. Much rather have the nice sounding stereo and no cab space taken up!
Sub:
T-Harness
https://subthump.com/Chevrolet-GMC-C...h54frrflgogo82
Rear seat removal:
(With Sub Thump t harness)