Notices
2019+ Silverado (GMT-T1) Section for all discussion related to the 2019+ Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra.

In Market to Buy New Silverado — Which Engine Should I Select?

Search this Thread

Old June 15th, 2022, 8:58 AM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Post In Market to Buy New Silverado — Which Engine Should I Select?

Hello!

I know that there will be many who consider this a noob kind of question, but that's OK! So, I'm preparing myself to pull the trigger on either the 2022 Silverado LTD or "All New" 2022 Silverado, for either, the LT Trail Boss 1500 Crew Cab Short Bed would be the Trim Level.

The issue is which powerplant to choose from.

Right now, I'm considering the 5.3L V8 or the LM2 Duramax 3.0L I-6 ("Baby Duramax"). They seem to be the most economical (as much as you can be in a full size truck) engines available at the moment. I seriously considered the 6.2L V8 but I'm a bit concerned over the lifter issue caused by AFM/DFM and the fact that it needs 92 Octane or better given gas prices (though I know it will run on 91 but at reduced performance).

Since most here probably own one of the three powerplants listed, I'm looking for pros/cons of each. I don't plan to do heavy offroading, but some trails are definitely in, as well as some beach driving since I'm here in Florida. Most miles will be city with some highway/long distance drives thrown in. There will also be some light towing (less than 5000lbs for the most part).

Does anyone have any thoughts they'd like to share in helping me make a good choice of engine for my new truck? Thanks in advance!
Old June 16th, 2022, 6:17 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by StrongArmmed
Hello!

I know that there will be many who consider this a noob kind of question, but that's OK! So, I'm preparing myself to pull the trigger on either the 2022 Silverado LTD or "All New" 2022 Silverado, for either, the LT Trail Boss 1500 Crew Cab Short Bed would be the Trim Level.

The issue is which powerplant to choose from.

Right now, I'm considering the 5.3L V8 or the LM2 Duramax 3.0L I-6 ("Baby Duramax"). They seem to be the most economical (as much as you can be in a full size truck) engines available at the moment. I seriously considered the 6.2L V8 but I'm a bit concerned over the lifter issue caused by AFM/DFM and the fact that it needs 92 Octane or better given gas prices (though I know it will run on 91 but at reduced performance).

Since most here probably own one of the three powerplants listed, I'm looking for pros/cons of each. I don't plan to do heavy offroading, but some trails are definitely in, as well as some beach driving since I'm here in Florida. Most miles will be city with some highway/long distance drives thrown in. There will also be some light towing (less than 5000lbs for the most part).

Does anyone have any thoughts they'd like to share in helping me make a good choice of engine for my new truck? Thanks in advance!
I wish Chevy would adopt a 4 liter diesel motor. Inline I-6 turbocharged diesel motors are what most all semi-trucks use these days.

That said, I would go with the 3.0 liter Duramax engine. It's pretty new, but a diesel engine has lots of torque and power. You'll have to buy DEF fluid, but it's pretty cheap.

Any Iinline-Six (I-6) engine is inherently balanced, which is another reason I'd choose it. It will not be fast off the line, like the gasoline engines are, but all in all, if you take good care of it, it will last a very long time, with great fuel mileage to boot.
The following users liked this post:
StrongArmmed (June 16th, 2022)
Old June 16th, 2022, 8:19 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
I wish Chevy would adopt a 4 liter diesel motor. Inline I-6 turbocharged diesel motors are what most all semi-trucks use these days.

That said, I would go with the 3.0 liter Duramax engine. It's pretty new, but a diesel engine has lots of torque and power. You'll have to buy DEF fluid, but it's pretty cheap.

Any Iinline-Six (I-6) engine is inherently balanced, which is another reason I'd choose it. It will not be fast off the line, like the gasoline engines are, but all in all, if you take good care of it, it will last a very long time, with great fuel mileage to boot.
Thank you for your response! I am thinking similarly to you. The balance in the I-6 eliminates the "Chevy shake" and diesels are hella durable. There is a premium for that motor but I understand that diesels need less maintenance throughout their lifespan, and I'm not worried about DEF costs.

Good points...Thanks!
oilcanhenry (June 19th, 2022)
Old June 16th, 2022, 4:21 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

What area of the country you live in should also factor into your choice. If you live in the areas of the country that sees temperatures below 32° F during the colder months of the year, you might want to give diesel engines a second evaluation.
Old June 16th, 2022, 6:13 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by chem_man
What area of the country you live in should also factor into your choice. If you live in the areas of the country that sees temperatures below 32° F during the colder months of the year, you might want to give diesel engines a second evaluation.
I live in South Florida so there’s virtually no chance of below freezing temps here. You raise a good point though. Trips north in the winter might be an issue. That’s a consideration I hadn’t thought about.
oilcanhenry (June 19th, 2022)
Old June 19th, 2022, 1:37 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by chem_man
An engine block heater or storing it in a garage will take care of that, as well as anti-gelling agents, if needed. If it's good enough for semi-truck drivers, it's good enough for me. Full-sized semi truck-tractors haven't used gasoline since before I was born, and that's coming up soon at 67 years of age. Diesels last longer as the fuel lubricates the combustion chambers.

Semi-trucks have come a long way since I was old enough to drive one. Power steering, air-conditioning, tilt steering wheel, electric windows are standard equipment these days, along with optional auto-shift transmissions, heated-seats, and 650 HP engines, unlike when I was a young man. It's like driving a very large modern pickup truck, that how much they have changed.
StrongArmmed (June 19th, 2022)
Old June 22nd, 2022, 5:38 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, when I picked up my new 2019 Z71 at the dealer, it was parked outside the dealership show-room door. I got in and started it up to hear how the dealer installed cat-back (Borla) exhaust system sounded (good!). One of the other salesmen got in and sat down beside me. He asked me "why did you order the 6.2L engine?" My answer: "because they didn't offer anything bigger." He liked it.....

Edit: it's been a couple-three years now that I've owned the truck. Super glad I went with the 6.2. Hills and mountains are no problem. Even pulling a 4000# boat and a Jeep on a stretcher, that 6.2 makes it seem like there's hardly any load at all, even on long mountain passes at altitude. I've had zero issues with the motor, none at all (so far.....). It DOES like that 92+ octane gas, though. And at $5.50+ a gallon around here, it's spendy. Best mileage I've gotten is about 15.5 mpg, around town it's maybe averaging about 13.5. Wish it had a bigger tank. Fortunately, I can afford it, and wouldn't do a smaller motor if I had it to do over again. I LOVE that 6.2.

Last edited by BenThere; June 22nd, 2022 at 5:50 PM.
oilcanhenry (June 22nd, 2022)
Old July 22nd, 2022, 11:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Chevy please help.

So this will be my first truck and I’m not a motors guy and trust this thread of fine people to lead me in the right direction. I’ve decided on the Chevy silverado LT Trail boss over the ram rebel. My question is what engine would you go with based on all options. To help answer some questions you might have, I live in Cali and it doesn’t get cold. Gas prices are high but this will just be my weekend driver as I have a daily work car (Honda civic). I plan to occasional drive on a ranch with dirt roads, but no real “off tossing”. As far as towing, nothing major minus 2 jet skis or 2 quads.
thank you all so much for the help. I’m beyond excited! Oh and yeah…I plan to have this truck for a very very long time. Thanks again.