Notices
2019+ Silverado (GMT-T1) Section for all discussion related to the 2019+ Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra.

Right steering wheel control for 2021 Silverado

Search this Thread

Old April 10th, 2022, 12:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Right hand side of steering wheel controls

Originally Posted by toomqr1
Everyone I've talked to from the dealer to a buddy of mine who runs a dealership in VA has said it can't be done on mine that is a custom 1500. I haven't looked into it any further than that.
I purchased the right side controls for the steering wheel but found it was easier just to purcahse a steering wheel with controls and swap the old with new. All I had to do then was to simply create/purchase a cable that will connect the clock spring to the cluster. There is a special method on how to make the connections but I found that after making that connection the controls for the radio and voice worked. I bought a steering wheel with heat and front sensors but I've not yet found the manner to activate those controls (in my case their on the left side of the steering wheel). If you need special instructions for the activation of the radio and voice controls, then I suggest you view the vedio I sent previously in this chain of messages.
Old May 16th, 2023, 8:45 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by FBonefont
I purchased the right side controls for the steering wheel but found it was easier just to purcahse a steering wheel with controls and swap the old with new. All I had to do then was to simply create/purchase a cable that will connect the clock spring to the cluster. There is a special method on how to make the connections but I found that after making that connection the controls for the radio and voice worked. I bought a steering wheel with heat and front sensors but I've not yet found the manner to activate those controls (in my case their on the left side of the steering wheel). If you need special instructions for the activation of the radio and voice controls, then I suggest you view the vedio I sent previously in this chain of messages.

I know this is a year old, but hoping you'll still see this. Just trying to confirm something. Am I understanding correctly that swapping out the wheel, with the added wire, you did gain the audio volume and favorites buttons, even before upgrading the cluster? I'm interested in gaining the audio controls, but not planning on swapping out the cluster right now. Thanks!
Old July 20th, 2023, 1:00 PM
CF Beginner

Default Anyone find an answer?

I know this is an old post but followed up to see if this could be done as a kit. I called 3 dealers in Virginia and GM. I was told that for those with Custom models, the install would had to of been done during the “ manufacturing process”. Very disappointed that this seemingly simple add-on cannot be accommodated.
Old July 20th, 2023, 10:02 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 100 Likes on 89 Posts

What you fail to realize is that these aren't the Chevrolets of generations past.

On today's vehicles, nearly everything is controlled by a module. For example, if you want to turn a light on, you just flip the switch...right? Wrong. Yes, you flip the switch, but the switch is not directly connected to the light. The switch is likely connected to the Body Control Module (BCM). When the BCM sees the request for a light to be illuminated sent to it from the switch, the BCM checks a bunch of other conditions in the vehicle (in just a few microseconds) and if all are OK, then the BCM commands the light to be illuminated. Same thing with the radio.

So, one just cannot just install a couple of switches and find what they think are the correct wires and connect the two together, they must also reprogram the BCM and potentially other modules in order for everything to work properly.
Old July 21st, 2023, 6:10 AM
CF Beginner

I totally get that the trucks of today are different. I had the fog light kit installed at the dealer last week. It took 8-hours, then another hour of the techs trying to load the BCM. I watched them talking with GM on the phone due to firewall issues. The fog lights worked out great. I wish Chevy would make this an add-on kit. I am confident that a lot of people would buy this to make it worth it.
Old January 12th, 2024, 9:08 PM
CF Beginner

(3) 2021 Silverado Custom Instrument Cluster Upgrade - YouTube
Here's the video I saw that helped me. However, I subsequently decided to purchase a steering wheel that had controls on both sides (cruse and radio/voice). I've yet to replace the cluster (coming at a later date). Hope this helps...
Did you replace the wheel and did the all the controls work after you did or did you have to program it or finally replace the cluster along with the wheel?
Old June 4th, 2024, 10:37 AM
CF Beginner

Default Just changing the steering wheel

(3) 2021 Silverado Custom Instrument Cluster Upgrade - YouTube
Here's the video I saw that helped me. However, I subsequently decided to purchase a steering wheel that had controls on both sides (cruse and radio/voice). I've yet to replace the cluster (coming at a later date). Hope this helps...
can you just change the steering wheel to gain audio control, or do you have to have both:? This may have already been answered, but i figuref i would ask.