Astro 1985-2005
Chevy's first entry into the minivan class, offered in All Wheel Drive to add to its versatility.
Platform: M-Body

1988 Astro bypass ignition switch - hot wire

Search this Thread

Old August 23rd, 2008, 2:04 PM
vee
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1988 Astro bypass ignition switch - hot wire

Bought a 88 Astro as a total restore project. It had no motor, steering column, partially burnt wiring harness and nointerior.
Bought a rebuilt V6 and installed, picked up a new harness from salvage yard. Now I want to check that I have all wiring on engine hooked up correctly. Adjust valves and tune engine to run right.

Can't find a steering column locallybefore I go out of county and take chance on wasting money on a steering column that is no good.

Which wires can I jump or connect where the terminal plugs into the bottom of the steering column to bypass ignition switch and start rebuilt engine?
Old August 23rd, 2008, 6:17 PM
vee
CF Beginner

Default RE: 1988 Astro bypass ignition switch - hot wire

Appologise
I meant in the county not country mispell

I have covered every salvage yard in my county and no one has one. Closing I have found on phone is over 2 hours away.

I found a red hot wire and a purple wire at the steering colomun terminal. IfI use a jumper on them the starter kicks in and the engine spins, but well not fire off.
Thinking maybe there is some other wire or wiresI need to jump also to make everything work to start engine.
Old August 24th, 2008, 12:53 PM
vee
CF Beginner

What kind of picture will help?

What do I need to take pictures of?

the actual terminal I'm wanting to try and 'hot wire' from, the long one that plugs into the columun on the passenger side of the colomun?

[sm=dontgetit.gif]
Old August 25th, 2008, 4:15 PM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

The rest of this post has been hidden. The decision has been madeto dissallow all threads concerning "hotwiring" by the discretion of the moderator staff.[/align]Please... do not talk about hotwiring. We have no way of knowing if you are a car theif or just a backyard mechanic. Hope you understand.[/align]
Old May 16th, 2013, 6:50 PM
CF Beginner

Do you really think that any reputable car thief with half a brain would actually spend his time reading forums to learn how to bypass a vehicle's ignition? He'd be more likely to want to borrow a screwdriver to twist the ignition key cylinder.

I suggest a thread be added specifically for car thieves and those of us who have questions for them on their techniques...such as hot wiring a vehicle.
Old May 16th, 2013, 7:46 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverdog1
Do you really think that any reputable car thief with half a brain would actually spend his time reading forums to learn how to bypass a vehicle's ignition? He'd be more likely to want to borrow a screwdriver to twist the ignition key cylinder.

I suggest a thread be added specifically for car thieves and those of us who have questions for them on their techniques...such as hot wiring a vehicle.
Thief, and reputable are not synomous. If i where a thief, first thing I would do is research, and that includes forums. Maybe I only have half a brain, but that isn't spent on theft, nor is is it spent on deterent, just posting my "thoughts".