Astro 1985-2005
Chevy's first entry into the minivan class, offered in All Wheel Drive to add to its versatility.
Platform: M-Body

1998 Chevy Astro Fuel Gage vibrates.

Search this Thread

Old April 23rd, 2007, 11:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Chevy Astro Fuel Gage vibrates.

My 1998 Chevy Astro LT has 137000 miles and runs well. However, recenty the fuel gage started to vibrate about the width of the needle. The fuel level seems to be OK. I noticed that when I first turn on the key the fuel gage needle will peg to the full position before moving back to the correct fuel level. I changed the fuel pump relay but it didn't fix it. I have not tried disconnecting the fuel pump electrical connector or VCM output lines.
Has anyone experienced this before? Any ideas what might be causing this problem?
Old May 30th, 2007, 11:54 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: 1998 Chevy Astro Fuel Gage vibrates.

I have a 98 Astro and the factory fuel pump died at 75k. The dealer installed a new one and soon after I noticed the needle lightly vibrating. It gradually got worse and around 140-150k it started bouncing around more, and is not very accurate now. I always go by milage and run on the top half of the tank, so it doesn't bother me enough to figure out whats wrong.
Old May 30th, 2007, 9:10 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for letting me know that you are also experiencing the gas gage vibrating needle problem.
I haven't isolated the problem yet. If I find the solution I'll be sure to post it for everyone.
Old July 23rd, 2007, 6:01 AM
CF Beginner

I too have the same problem...

I have a 1998 Chevy Astro AWD LT V64.3L, and the fuel gauge needle vibrates and it started not too long ago.

I really dont mind it that much, because I can still tell the fuel level it really doesnt bother me
Old July 23rd, 2007, 7:32 AM
CF Beginner

I have it also, 93 Caprice started with a shop changing my fuel pump.

I believe that they pulled it on a Fri for a Mon part coming in.

Problem seems that the sending unit is inside the gas tank attaching with the fuel pump.

These sending units tarnish due to sulfur in the fuel over time and fast when they are exposed to outside elements.

Sending unit part at the dealer is the entire float assembly without fuel pump for $450 (ouch)

Best thing to do is what Skifisher said and know how far your car will go on a tank of gas.

Some fuel system cleaners claim on the bottle (Chevron Techron used last week) and Valvoline Max Life in my

current tank claim on their packaging that it will remove this tarnish and restore the fuel gauge accuracy.
Old September 30th, 2007, 10:00 PM
CF Beginner

99 Astro. Mine too. Started shortly after i changed the fuel pump assy which has the seding unit attached. Does not bother me much. Especially knowing others have the same issues.