Astro 1985-2005
Chevy's first entry into the minivan class, offered in All Wheel Drive to add to its versatility.
Platform: M-Body

2002 Astro had coolant leak, now has runaway idle

Search this Thread

Old July 11th, 2019, 6:43 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Astro had coolant leak, now has runaway idle

Hello all,

Maybe someone can offer some suggestions to my situation. I have a 2002 Astro cargo at 187k miles. Within the last 5 months it seems EVERYTHING has gone south: catalytic converter, water pump, clutch fan, transmission was rebuilt and most recently a coolant leak developed above the oil pan. I had the intake manifold gaskets, etc. replaced (along with the temp sensor) and now the idle takes off like it's doing 40-50 mph after 5 or 10 seconds. My mechanic (who is usually on top of everything) is at a loss and is ready to take it apart again. He's pretty sure there's a vacuum leak somewhere behind the water pump. When the engine is started the idle takes off and the hose beneath the air intake collapses in on itself. Maybe the gasket didn't seat correctly or worse case a blown head gasket, but we're at a loss.

I've got a lot of money tied up in it at this point and I can't just walk away. I know these engines can last a long time and I think (I hope) I just hit the sour spot on the mileage wear and tear. Any thoughts?
Old July 13th, 2019, 8:54 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by BumpinAlong
Hello all,

Maybe someone can offer some suggestions to my situation. I have a 2002 Astro cargo at 187k miles. Within the last 5 months it seems EVERYTHING has gone south: catalytic converter, water pump, clutch fan, transmission was rebuilt and most recently a coolant leak developed above the oil pan. I had the intake manifold gaskets, etc. replaced (along with the temp sensor) and now the idle takes off like it's doing 40-50 mph after 5 or 10 seconds. My mechanic (who is usually on top of everything) is at a loss and is ready to take it apart again. He's pretty sure there's a vacuum leak somewhere behind the water pump. When the engine is started the idle takes off and the hose beneath the air intake collapses in on itself. Maybe the gasket didn't seat correctly or worse case a blown head gasket, but we're at a loss.

I've got a lot of money tied up in it at this point and I can't just walk away. I know these engines can last a long time and I think (I hope) I just hit the sour spot on the mileage wear and tear. Any thoughts?
You have a vacuum leak. Could be a warped intake manifold or heads, I have seen that happen before. Might be the TB, is leaking atmo too. At 187k might be worth it. I used to see carbs that couldn't last that long, not even close, without a rebuild.

Hell most motors made in the day couldn't make it to 150k would a rebuild; the carbs washed all the oil off the cylinder walls.

Last edited by oilcanhenry; July 13th, 2019 at 8:57 AM.
Old July 14th, 2019, 6:33 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
At 187k might be worth it.
Well then that would just suck.

I dropped at least $2.5k in it over the last 4-5 months and will likely owe another $1-1.5k for the work the mechanic has done trying to resolve this issue. Makes me sick to think about all that money being spent with nothing to show for it. Hopefully I'll find out more the first part of this coming week. Crap.