Astro 1985-2005
Chevy's first entry into the minivan class, offered in All Wheel Drive to add to its versatility.
Platform: M-Body

4L60E transmission problem

Old September 27th, 2018, 10:59 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L60E transmission problem

*Advice needed*
I bought a 2002 Chevy astro 2wd cargo van for work. The guy o bought it from had the 4l60e transmission rebuilt approximately 5 years ago and it had since had less than1000 miles driven on it. The reason for the rebuild was him trying to chase down the problem with it breaking the flexplates . He had already replaced the flexplate 3 times because of breakage. When I bought it the flexplate was cracked, making noise and needed replaced once more, no big deal right. Well it turned out to be a big deal once I tore into it and found that he was a complete hack mechanic. While I should have been able to back the trans a few inches from the motor and replace the plate, it turned out that he had boogered the head of one bolt so bad that I had to drop the whole exhaust and trans to get enough room to get the bolt out. That's when I made a terrible mistake . Because I had to do all that extra work, I was pissed off and rushing to put it back together and failed to get the torque converter pushed back to its third click. I noticed this after I bolted the trans back to the motor and couldn't spin the converter around to bolt it up! Since then I have read enough on forums to know that I probably trashed my pump. ..bummer. So here is what has happened since I put it back together.
I dropped it off the jack stands and drove it out of the garage, I was happy thinking it was all good. I drove it around my neighborhood and it seemed OK . I stopped at the house and put the engine shroud back on and proceeded to take it for another drive . I drove through my neighborhood and proceed to head out on another road when all the sudden I lost all gears. Nothing in any gear. I crawled under it and checked all connections, good. No leaks...torque converter is spinning with the flexplate. Now I'm sure that the pump went out.
So I get it home and put it on the stands and start checking it out. I pull the main wire connection plug and when I do ,it is full of transmission fluid! I'm not sure how it got there but it was. I sprayed everything down with electrical cleaner and checked the connector on the transmission side (not sure what that part is called) and inspected it for cracks that could cause a leak. I didn't notice anything. Now here's the kicker.. when I start it and shift the gears while its on the stands, it will go into the gears and the wheels spin but when I put it back on the ground it won't move!
Did I in fact trash the pump ??
Is there anything else it could be?
I did check fuses, all good .
Note, I did replace the neutral safety switch that also got trashed in the process of the flexplate repair.
Old September 27th, 2018, 12:25 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Natas665
*Advice needed*
I bought a 2002 Chevy astro 2wd cargo van for work. The guy o bought it from had the 4l60e transmission rebuilt approximately 5 years ago and it had since had less than1000 miles driven on it. The reason for the rebuild was him trying to chase down the problem with it breaking the flexplates . He had already replaced the flexplate 3 times because of breakage. When I bought it the flexplate was cracked, making noise and needed replaced once more, no big deal right. Well it turned out to be a big deal once I tore into it and found that he was a complete hack mechanic. While I should have been able to back the trans a few inches from the motor and replace the plate, it turned out that he had boogered the head of one bolt so bad that I had to drop the whole exhaust and trans to get enough room to get the bolt out. That's when I made a terrible mistake . Because I had to do all that extra work, I was pissed off and rushing to put it back together and failed to get the torque converter pushed back to its third click. I noticed this after I bolted the trans back to the motor and couldn't spin the converter around to bolt it up! Since then I have read enough on forums to know that I probably trashed my pump. ..bummer. So here is what has happened since I put it back together.
I dropped it off the jack stands and drove it out of the garage, I was happy thinking it was all good. I drove it around my neighborhood and it seemed OK . I stopped at the house and put the engine shroud back on and proceeded to take it for another drive . I drove through my neighborhood and proceed to head out on another road when all the sudden I lost all gears. Nothing in any gear. I crawled under it and checked all connections, good. No leaks...torque converter is spinning with the flexplate. Now I'm sure that the pump went out.
So I get it home and put it on the stands and start checking it out. I pull the main wire connection plug and when I do ,it is full of transmission fluid! I'm not sure how it got there but it was. I sprayed everything down with electrical cleaner and checked the connector on the transmission side (not sure what that part is called) and inspected it for cracks that could cause a leak. I didn't notice anything. Now here's the kicker.. when I start it and shift the gears while its on the stands, it will go into the gears and the wheels spin but when I put it back on the ground it won't move!
Did I in fact trash the pump ??
Is there anything else it could be?
I did check fuses, all good .
Note, I did replace the neutral safety switch that also got trashed in the process of the flexplate repair.
Did he show you a receipt of the auto trans rebuild? If not I'd assume he did nothing. As for the flexplate going out three times, I wouldn't have bought it.

Why not try a new non-GM flexplate? https://www.summitracing.com/search/...e-family/gm-v6

Search this Thread