Astro 1985-2005
Chevy's first entry into the minivan class, offered in All Wheel Drive to add to its versatility.
Platform: M-Body

97 Astro bad vibration when applying on brake pedal and steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old August 16th, 2010, 9:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 97 Astro bad vibration when applying on brake pedal and steering wheel

So I have this astro van that came in customer said it just started happening as he was coming down to the shop.
Symptoms: Very loud noise/back fire vibration from the brake pedal like clunking noise, Also when turning the steering wheel left to right and right to left hear the same noise.

Now i've looked at it and I felt bad vibration from the power steering line from the hydraulic booster to the power steering pump. Then I felt vibration on the pump not as bad as the vibration from the line. Would replacing the power steering pump fix this problem since everything runs off from the hydraulic booster? Or would a 1 simple line can cause this problem?

I would like to get more information for the experience owners!
Thank You for your time.
Old August 17th, 2010, 6:18 AM
CF Active Member

How loud? What does engine speed do for it?

Grumpy moans and groans and is hard to turn at idle, but if I cover the brake and give it a little gas to build pressure the steering get easier and the brake pedal becomes more solid. (I really should replace the PS pump.)

I've never heard of a PS line clogging.
Old August 17th, 2010, 12:09 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by ihatemybike
How loud? What does engine speed do for it?

Grumpy moans and groans and is hard to turn at idle, but if I cover the brake and give it a little gas to build pressure the steering get easier and the brake pedal becomes more solid. (I really should replace the PS pump.)

I've never heard of a PS line clogging.
I think you nailed it. What happens is when I accelerate the noise seems to go away but when i take my foot off the gas the noise comes back. The pressure seems to build up when I hit the brake pedal I get a bad vibration like a loud moaning sound.
Old August 17th, 2010, 1:50 PM
CF Active Member

Do you have the tools to check the PS line pressure and have access to the specs?