Astro 1985-2005
Chevy's first entry into the minivan class, offered in All Wheel Drive to add to its versatility.
Platform: M-Body

99 astro with rear ac issue

Search this Thread

Old August 18th, 2010, 11:07 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 astro with rear ac issue

Does anyone know why my AC blows cool in the front and rear but the Screen/filter looking thing is ICE COLD...plus it's dirty and want to change it out!! How do I get it out...it has small 6-8 mm screws TOWARDS THE BACK..hard to get to!! Compressor is new fully charged..I also have the air coming out the defroster and I know I have to check the vacumn hose's...any help will be appreciated!!
Old August 18th, 2010, 1:02 PM
CF Active Member

You trying to challenge me now? Where is this screen/filter thing you speak of?

Both Green and Grumpy have had vacuum hose problems. There is a skinny hose that runs from near the PCV valve around the top front of the engine and meets up with some more skinny hoses near the AC canister. This hose has been my problem any time my HVAC defaults to the defroster.
Old August 18th, 2010, 1:39 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by ihatemybike
You trying to challenge me now? Where is this screen/filter thing you speak of?

LOL!! it's in the rear ....on the rear corner (DS) bottom close to the floor!..It's actually a filter! And i know it's clogged!! Van use to belong to home improvement people and the dust was sucked all up in there....I want to cut that crap out and my DVD ROM Data base does not have any reference to it! I'll take a pic of it from my Camera Phone and post it tomorrow!

Both Green and Grumpy have had vacuum hose problems. There is a skinny hose that runs from near the PCV valve around the top front of the engine and meets up with some more skinny hoses near the AC canister. This hose has been my problem any time my HVAC defaults to the defroster.
Thanks I'll look into it Sat or Sunday when I have time!!
Old August 18th, 2010, 2:36 PM
CF Active Member

Ah, my vans don't have rear AC. All I have there is a little storage area.
Old August 18th, 2010, 2:53 PM
CF Junior Member

Ah, my vans don't have rear AC. All I have there is a little storage area.
yeah mine was a passenger van turned into a cargo van!!
Old August 23rd, 2010, 8:40 AM
CF Junior Member

Ok the Rear AC has a EVAPORATOR.....so I'm thinking of replacing it..but I do have a question. would it be easier to just block off the lines going to the rear AC? Like I said it's a pass Van turned into Cargo (bike Hauler) don't really need the rear! Thanks!
Old August 23rd, 2010, 10:01 PM
CF Active Member

Really don't have the answer on this one. Only had one van with the rear HVAC, but some uninsured foreign nationalist caused a chain reaction on the interstate that collected my van.
Old August 24th, 2010, 5:05 AM
CF Junior Member

Really don't have the answer on this one. Only had one van with the rear HVAC, but some uninsured foreign nationalist caused a chain reaction on the interstate that collected my van.
LOL.....sorry to hear that!! I'll look into it later on this week!!

Thanks
Old August 24th, 2010, 5:52 AM
CF Active Member

That was my forth Astro, a 2000 AWD with lots of bells and whistles, really liked that van. I was bummed at the time, but luckily had uninsured motorist coverage.

Took the money and bought my wife's Jeep Liberty, the first vehicle that my wife has truly fallen in love with. She is now officially a Jeep girl that wrenches and off roads. Her Libby has about 3.5/4 inches of lift, big tires, under body amour and needed emergency repair/recovery gear, all her doing with me providing muscle and moral support when needed.

That Jeep has been the inspiration for many trips. Since the lift and tires went on she's drove over 55k miles in less than two years and we leave for a Montana vacation on Friday with no set destination aside from the roads less traveled.
Old August 24th, 2010, 6:51 AM
CF Junior Member

That was my forth Astro, a 2000 AWD with lots of bells and whistles, really liked that van. I was bummed at the time, but luckily had uninsured motorist coverage.

Took the money and bought my wife's Jeep Liberty, the first vehicle that my wife has truly fallen in love with. She is now officially a Jeep girl that wrenches and off roads. Her Libby has about 3.5/4 inches of lift, big tires, under body amour and needed emergency repair/recovery gear, all her doing with me providing muscle and moral support when needed.

That Jeep has been the inspiration for many trips. Since the lift and tires went on she's drove over 55k miles in less than two years and we leave for a Montana vacation on Friday with no set destination aside from the roads less traveled.

Sweet! My van is not the prettiest thing right now...but I love how she drives...my goal is Performance and comfort..AC/Heat 1st then cosmetics come later!!

Quick Reply: 99 astro with rear ac issue