Astro 1985-2005
Chevy's first entry into the minivan class, offered in All Wheel Drive to add to its versatility.
Platform: M-Body

Buying an Astro

Search this Thread

Old November 8th, 2010, 6:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying an Astro

Hi Everrrybody...I'm new to this forum and quite possible going to be the new owner of an Astro tomorrow. I'm looking at 1994 Astro Gladiator and would really appreciate any input on things to look at. She looks like she's in pretty good condition...I might have to do an alternator and replace the handles for the 2 middle seats. The AC condenssor also appears to be MIA but other than that she's in pretty incredible condition for her age. As mentioned any tips on what to look for before making the commitment would be immensely appreciated.

Thanx so much and look forward to being part of what looks like a great little Chev community here.

Dan
Old November 9th, 2010, 6:46 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These vans eat idler arms, but they are easy to replace. The longest lasting ones are Moog brand. Make sure all 13 grease zerks on the front end are hit every oil change.

It seems that after 100k miles the fuel pumps in these vans are on borrowed time. Change the fuel filter after you pick it up and then every 20k miles. Whenever my odo is at a multiple of 20k I do mine, makes it easy to remember. When/if the fuel pump goes they aren't bad to replace. Only use ACDelco/Delphi if the intent is to keep the van. Cheap pumps don't last, besides the good pumps can be had online for roughly the same price.

If the van is AWD, check the front axle shaft seals. Replace leaking seals asap. Blowing up a front diff is no fun. I just replaced Grumpy's over the past couple days.

If the van is leaking oil the first culprit is the oil cooler lines that run from the oil filter to the radiator. The crimping on them isn't the best. I cut the crimps off with a Dremmel and replace them with two pipe clamps each.

All of the above I consider easy fixes, but I use them to my advantage when purchasing used vans. I knocked $800 off Green's price due to loose idlers and the oil leak and $550 off Grumpy's due to a faulty fuel pump.

Last edited by ihatemybike; November 9th, 2010 at 6:50 AM.