Astro 1985-2005
Chevy's first entry into the minivan class, offered in All Wheel Drive to add to its versatility.
Platform: M-Body

chevy astro dayvan 4.3 running problem

Search this Thread

Old February 6th, 2011, 10:30 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default chevy astro dayvan 4.3 running problem

Hi all,firstly to introduce myself i'm jason from yorkshire & probably the best looking one on this site to date.Now for the serious stuff,i have the above astro van 4.3 2000 model that i bought 6 month ago.After a month or so it just cut out & wouldnt start again so after much investigation & process of elimination i found out the so called spider injectors was shot,so i fitted a new updated version made sure everything was sealed when assembling it all back together.i also changed the fuel filter as i found it was partially blocked & while i had the engine tunnel off i changed the distributor cap & rotor arm as they looked worn.The car now starts but idles roughly & if i put my foot down fast on the accelerator it cuts out but if i do it slowly & let it build speed up gradually it revs up smoothly till i put my foot down again then cuts out.At first i thought air leak so i double checked my work to make sure all electrical connections were fitted & everything was sealed which it was.This is where i have come to a dead end,i am wondering if it could be the fuel pump in the tank because this is very noisy since i bought the chevy as though the bearings on the pump are worn,but i dont really want to be doing this if its not needed.There is plenty or petrol in the tank but i dont have a pressure guage to check the fuel pressure & i heard these cars need good fuel pressure to run ok,my thinking is when you put your foot down you obviously need more pressure for the fuel & if the pump is tired it wouldnt keep up (does this make sense to your more experienced people out there) if not has as any of your kind gentlemen or ladies have any ideas i would love to hear them thankyou in advance jason
Old February 6th, 2011, 4:01 PM
CF Beginner

Sorry, but you are litteraly pissing upwind without a $20 fuel pressure guage. There is no way to fully diagnose this without hard numbers or watching for leakdown.

Could be faulty spider?
Could be fuel pump?
Old February 6th, 2011, 5:59 PM
CF Active Member

I agree, find someone that has a fuel pressure gauge and see what it's putting out.
Old February 7th, 2011, 10:58 AM
CF Beginner

Hi thanks for the replies,20$ have you any websites or ideas where i can get the pressure guage from,i expected them to be much more expensive than that
Old February 11th, 2011, 6:11 AM
CF Active Member

Harbor Freight should be able to get you taken care of.
Old February 11th, 2011, 1:25 PM
CF Beginner

Thankyou aaron for your reply your a topman,just to update i sorted a fuel pressure guage & it is the pump (hardly any pressure then drops to zero before cutting out) so now the easy bit,buy a pump & fit it,think i will buy original as i heard alot of bad press on the aftermarket stuff,any advice where to buy one from will be greatly appreciated bearing in mind i'm from the UK,regards jason
Old February 14th, 2011, 6:27 AM
CF Active Member

This is a page from a Astro/Safari reference site I've been throwing together. It lists all model years and the pumps they take.
http://sites.google.com/site/astrosa...el-pumps-tanks

This site used to be the cheapest source for ACDelco/Delphi pumps, but their site looks a little "off" this morning. I'd try calling, they have done right by me for two pumps so far.
http://store.getgmparts.com/index.html

Other than them, http://www.rockauto.com/ is pretty good. I order lots from them and they ship overseas regularly.
Old February 14th, 2011, 3:38 PM
CF Beginner

Brilliant post aaron just what i needed,once again thanks for all your help,all the best jason
Old February 14th, 2011, 10:06 PM
CF Active Member

http://store.getgmparts.com/index.html

The site is back up. They now list make/model/year for the pumps, guess the site went weird while they were making the change.
Old December 5th, 2012, 9:49 AM
CF Beginner

So buy a pressure gauge. 55-60psi when you turn the key on and stays there. It cannot drop off. Use an A/C Delco only. No aftermarket pumps.