Astro 1985-2005
Chevy's first entry into the minivan class, offered in All Wheel Drive to add to its versatility.
Platform: M-Body

Help My Chevy Astro keeps stalling.. All suggestions welcome...Running out of Ideas

Search this Thread

Old February 17th, 2012, 6:43 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Help My Chevy Astro keeps stalling.. All suggestions welcome...Running out of Ideas

Hello Everyone ,

First I would like to start off by saying I am a woman (because of my user name everyone assumes I am a guy ) and 2nd I am looking for all helpfull hints and Ideas that could solve my issue with my 1999 Chevy Astro Van (automatic) Rear wheel drive. On mild or damp days I can be driving along the road then all of a sudden all my warning lights come on in the dash. Since before christmas I have been dealing with this stalling issue and it's very dangerous on busy roadways . So far I have replaced the follwing.. Fuel Pump, Fuel Filter, Gas Line in the front, Router, Distributor cap, Power steering pump, Coil. I have had a mechanic hook it up to a diagnostic machine and it tells him that there is no errors. I really depend on my Chevy van for alot of things and well again like I say .. it's not safe when it stalls out in the middle of traffic.

Hope to hear from everyone or anyone soon.

MAC
Old February 18th, 2012, 9:01 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forum. When you say "all my warning lights come on in the dash," do you mean like when you first turn the key on, bulb tests and gauge sweeps and all? If so, you have an intermittent electrical power problem with the chief suspect being the ignition switch.
Old February 18th, 2012, 11:14 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by MAC__97
Hello Everyone ,

First I would like to start off by saying I am a woman (because of my user name everyone assumes I am a guy ) and 2nd I am looking for all helpfull hints and Ideas that could solve my issue with my 1999 Chevy Astro Van (automatic) Rear wheel drive. On mild or damp days I can be driving along the road then all of a sudden all my warning lights come on in the dash. Since before christmas I have been dealing with this stalling issue and it's very dangerous on busy roadways . So far I have replaced the follwing.. Fuel Pump, Fuel Filter, Gas Line in the front, Router, Distributor cap, Power steering pump, Coil. I have had a mechanic hook it up to a diagnostic machine and it tells him that there is no errors. I really depend on my Chevy van for alot of things and well again like I say .. it's not safe when it stalls out in the middle of traffic.

Hope to hear from everyone or anyone soon.

MAC
It could be a weak or bad fuel pump relay??, or maybe a fusible link that either weak or bad?? I've seen it happen (not on your particular vehicle but on others)when they get hot they change characteristics or a wire touching the frame ( not all the time) but maybe in a turn ??? or the vehicle lending will do it??? ,but that should throw a code??? and it could be a faulty fuel pump from the manufacture??? generic but it probably wouldn't have acted in they same way as the last one (the problem)??? did you make sure that it was the exact OEM replacement as getting the receipt part #'s and the one that was taken out to compare???? or may be your technician dos'nt have the diagnostic equipment to detect that code or analyze a soft code??? and just sends you out the door with it because he won't or can't update his computer or the shop won't and they want you to keep coming back (money, job security)you know how that go's
Old February 18th, 2012, 9:35 PM
CF Beginner

Grrrr I had replied to both of you and for some reason my page timed out... Fudge Ok let me see if I can remember what I all wrote. EinST the lights that I can remember seeing on in the dash were the battery light, check engine light, security light and the ABS light. I will try to remember to pay more attention if it happens again. Stevejohnson48 I always make sure to bring my vehicles to licensed mechanics who are very well known and have a very good service level with recommendation from current customers.... but as far as the serial numbers on the parts I will have to check that out considering that I have the old parts here. I know that there was some wires that were corroded and the mechanic changed them without a cost. I do know that the tech hooked it up the the diagnostic machine and there was 9errors before the fuel filter and the front gas line were changed.. once those two things were done the diagnostic machine said that the errors were all fixed. I even called a friend of mine who is also a licensed mechanic and I was describing to him what I have all changed / whats been happening and he has suggested Distributor, Modul, Bad Relay or even the possible pick up coil. I am going to look into these things to change Hope this answered your questions in your comments Keep your suggestion coming.
Old February 20th, 2012, 3:49 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is why eyewitness accounts can't be depended upon in a serious jury trial. Do keep an eye on just what indicators come on, what stay on, and what the gauges do. If the ABS and SECURITY indicators came on briefly, it'll mean something, if they stayed on, it'll mean something else. Basically, what you've said did not prove nor disprove the ignition switch. However, if it's never been replaced and your key chain weighs more than what a couple keys weigh, the ignition switch approaches statistical certainty.
Old March 4th, 2012, 4:56 PM
CF Beginner

Have you cleaned up your battery terminals?
Old March 4th, 2012, 6:40 PM
CF Beginner

Smile Thank- you

Thanks for the reply and suggestions. I have decided that I will be only using this vehicle around my home so this way here I am not stranded on the side of the road. I will continue to return here for more suggestions for my mechanic. Chow for now
Old March 4th, 2012, 7:00 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by MAC__97
I have decided that I will be only using this vehicle around my home so this way here I am not stranded on the side of the road.
That's a shame... It is a worthy vehicle, worthy of trust and long trips.

Good Luck, Jim
Old March 4th, 2012, 7:07 PM
CF Beginner

Spray dist cap with water see if stalls and coil wire
Old December 10th, 2012, 2:02 PM
CF Beginner

Default My 1999 Chevy Astro has problems when wet outside

I sort of have the same problem except mine doesn't want to start when its wet or damp outside. If it does start it hesitates until I am going 40MPH Once it warms up or drys it is fine. I have had a total tune up including a new distributor cap. The Chevy dealer said I need a new catalytic converter but didn't think that would cause it to have this problem.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
Janet

Quick Reply: Help My Chevy Astro keeps stalling.. All suggestions welcome...Running out of Ideas