Astro 1985-2005
Chevy's first entry into the minivan class, offered in All Wheel Drive to add to its versatility.
Platform: M-Body

Non starting backfiring 96 astro

Search this Thread

Old April 7th, 2011 | 1:48 PM
CF Beginner

Default Non starting backfiring 96 astro

Hi there Newbie here was out recently when my astro just stopped on me no warning, made a sound like a fuel pipe blowing off and just stopped, having just had the tank off and found nothing wrong with fuel feed and pressure I am hoping this has happened to some one else, I have a good spark and I have fuel the engine cranks over at normal speed but then seems to turn as tho the timming is retarded if I keep turning it over it then back fires, so much so that it has just blown its back box apart????
I am needing a new water pump and it is drippng on to the TDC sensor on the front any help much appreciated.
Old April 8th, 2011 | 10:43 AM
CF Active Member

Is the check engine light on? What does a fuel pipe blowing off sound like? How long do you crank the engine before it back fires? What is its back box? Is the water pump leaking from the seep hole or the gasket?
Old April 8th, 2011 | 1:43 PM
CF Beginner

Check engine light was on with error of a catalyst threshold which has been on and off over the years that I have owned the van, Sound of aan air/boost pipe blowing off? Back box is Muffler to you sorry I live the other side of the Atlantic on the West coast of Ireland, Cranking for some time ie backfire is unburnt fuel igniting in the exhaust and yes it is weeping from the seep hole , the whole thing just sounds like the timming is out for instance if you had put the plug leads on wrong on an old simple ignition system ie 180 degrees out .
Old April 8th, 2011 | 3:23 PM
CF Active Member

What year is the van? How many miles? Does the van have a Propane or CNG kit on it?
Have the hoses been checked for vacuum leaks? What PSI is the fuel getting to? What condition is the cap and rotor? How worn is the gear on the distributor? What check engine code is being set?

A dab of silicon sealant left to dry will stop the water pump from seeping long enough for testing.