Astro 1985-2005
Chevy's first entry into the minivan class, offered in All Wheel Drive to add to its versatility.
Platform: M-Body

What do you think this could be?

Search this Thread

Old September 9th, 2009, 7:26 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you think this could be?

Van starts up fine but dies when you give it gas. I have replaced the fuel pump 4 times this year it seems to be a temp fix and then a little while longer it starts doing the same thing. So now I am off to get to the root of the problem. I replaced the injectors over the weekend, that didnt fix the problem. I bought the fuel relay but am having trouble locating it, I have searched where it is supposed to be (under the hood close to the fire wall opposite the glove box there is SUPPOSED to be 2 boxs one with 4 wires and one with 5 the one with 5 is supposed to be the fuel relay) I have those 2 boxes in that location but they both have 4 wires going to them. Also, when I replaced the injectors I did notice my gas lines had some rust. I am thinking of replacing the gas lines but I dont know, any suggestions?
Old September 9th, 2009, 10:20 AM
CF Active Member

Four pumps in a year!?!?! Egads!

Going to need some more information from you.

What year van?

Have you checked the fuel pressure with a gauge?

What brand fuel pump are you using as a replacement?

We recommend only using ACDelco/Delphi fuel pumps as any others have a history of short lives in these vans. I have a chart here that lists the model years, pump part numbers, and a few online sources to save money on the ACDelco/Delphi fuel pumps.

Has the fuel filter been replaced?

We recommend replacing the fuel filter every 20k miles. Clogged filters kill fuel pumps.

Please take the time to update your profile's signature with your vehicle information.
Old September 9th, 2009, 10:53 AM
CF Beginner

Its a 1995 Astro. I have replaced the filter. The brand pump I am getting is from auto zone, Im not sure what brand it is but I know its not ACDelco/Delphi. The injectors I just put in are delphi I got them off ebay. I was thinking it was not the fuel pump because they are burning out so fast. I replaced the fuel pump last about 1-2 months ago and before that it was 4-5 months before. I checked the pressure and it is fine, but someone told me that when you shut the engine off the pressure should stay, but when you shut it off the pressure goes down to 10, I dont know if that has anything to do with it or not. Also I replaced the Modular control sensor a little over 2 years ago, seems like it is the same symptoms, so I took out that sensor again and took it to autozone, they tested it (its under warranty) and said it was fine. But I remember 2 years back they told me it was fine also and I replaced it anyway and bam problem fixed.
Old September 9th, 2009, 11:37 AM
CF Active Member

Autozone = Airtex pumps

Have you had the fuel pressure gauge on when you give the van gas? What does it do?

What condition are the plugs, wires, cap, and rotor?
Old September 9th, 2009, 4:15 PM
CF Beginner

I had a stalling issue with my 98 that was a real biotch to figure out. Seemed the van would stall for no real reason, then later start up. It got to the point where it would not restart and left my wife stranded while I was deployed. Towed to the dealer and $900 later I get a new fuel pump, only to have the van stall out when I crossed through an intersection 2 weeks later. Again, it wouldn't start, but I could smell fuel...... So I had it towed home to get medieval on it......but wouldn't you know the thing fired right up when the tow driver dropped it. Hmmmm..... I think I see a pattern. Didn't take long for it to stall again and I pushed in into my parking spot and got to work.

My catalytic converter element had cracked and was rotating inside the tailpipe and choking the engine. I first unbolted the inlet side of the cat and the van started firing up properly every time. Sounds pretty mean with an open exhaust too!

I unbolted the cat section of the exhause and put the flashlight to it. Sure enough, can't see through. I could here the cat material was loose, rotated the pipe around a little and suddenly the light comes through as the pieces fell back into place. Rotate it around and the exhaust is Off again.

I used a piece of pipe to bust out the ceramic pieces and put the pipe back on the van. Ran great but the Engine light came on. I pulled out my code reader and verified it was the O2 sensor.

I bought a replacement Cat from the Dealership, $350 or so, they took the original as a core, and I reset the engine light with my code reader. The van has been fine since then. Oh, and the cat section can be swapped out without a lift or anything if you really want to do it that way.

Something to consider.

ADV Astro

Last edited by ADVAstro; September 9th, 2009 at 4:17 PM.
Old September 9th, 2009, 4:25 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by ihatemybike
Autozone = Airtex pumps

Have you had the fuel pressure gauge on when you give the van gas? What does it do?

What condition are the plugs, wires, cap, and rotor?

When I hook up the fuel pressure gauge and give it gas it goes crazy, it will go from 50 all the way up and the bounces around. I will check the plugs, wires, cap and rotor, I am hearing a clicking sound around the dist cap.