Avalanche Chevy's first real SUT, combining the interior room of an SUV and the cargo ability of a pickup truck.

Chevrolet Avalanche
Platform: GMT 805 & 900

03 Avalanche vibtation

Search this Thread

Old February 21st, 2019, 4:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 Avalanche vibtation

I have a 03 Av and when you get up to 60mph it has this vibration, it doesn't shake the truck but you can hear the change. Thought it was a problem with the rear-end, took it to the ship they replaced the gasket on the rear and filled all the fluids. So $120 later I pick up my truck and go for a ride, still making the same noise when I get up to 60. The shop stated they checked the U joints, so any assistance or suggestions would be appreciated.
Old February 21st, 2019, 7:51 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

if your chasing a noise; describe it and its general location.
if you have a vibration...you must feel it somewhere or else it not a vibration... thru the body of truck or thru the steering?
Old February 22nd, 2019, 10:12 PM
CF Beginner

Your right my apologies, I do however know the difference between a noise and a vibration. It is a vibration you can feel it on the floor boards of the truck, but don't feel it coming through the pedal. But it also makes a loud noise when it starts, I'm not chasing the noise though, I know the noise is fromt he vibration and whatever the issue is. I was just hoping to get some ideas of possible problems, just so I have an idea what it could be.
Old February 23rd, 2019, 12:38 AM
Super Moderator

first thing to rule out is tires....rear tires transmit thru the floor...front thru the steering wheel. inspect and make sure the tires are not filled with mud or ice.
did the vibration start after a tire rotation or after driving thru a snow storm? Did you hit a curb? was a lift kit installed? Are the tires/rims new...new balanced tires can cause a vibration....radial tire variation is a tire construction fault that can only be detected with a road force balancer.

driveline vibrations transmit thru the floor. checking u-joints involves removing the driveshaft was this done?
Old February 23rd, 2019, 12:39 AM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

noise is caused by vibration.

things that rotate can vibrate (u-joints, driveshafts, tires and many other things even the trans internal parts) its kind of hard to pin point anything online check your u-joints for slop also inspect tires for any deformities or missing weights
Old February 23rd, 2019, 4:25 AM
CF Beginner

The U joints were checked at the shop just a couple days ago, the tires are a couple months old. No curbs were hit and no snow storm, also no build up on the tires and no recent rotations. The vibration started a couple days ago, no known reason for it to start. I will re-balance the tires tomorrow, if that isn't the issue then I'll check the driveshaft and U joints.

Thank you for the help!
Old February 23rd, 2019, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator

have the tires inspected for broken belts and if ok, road forced balanced. a tire with radial tire variation will balance perfect and still create vibrations. the only way to check for it is with a roadforce balancer.

here is a great tool to locate vibrations. engine/trans, wheels/axles, driveshaft rotate at different speeds so the harmonics can be measured and isolated.
Old February 24th, 2019, 2:15 AM
CF Beginner

Tech 2 thanks for the help, I looked at the wheels today and the rear passanger wheel has no weights on it. I will get it balanced this week and let you know if it resolves the issue.
Old February 24th, 2019, 3:17 PM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

Tech have you used that app?
Old February 25th, 2019, 8:01 PM
Super Moderator

I have used $5000 nvh dealer tools but not that app. not all shops have vibration analyzers and or techs that know what to do with the data.

the app was $300 the last time I looked; Its an alternative.
If you want to play the rule out game
-balancing tires $120
-removing and checking driveshafts $100...and then what do you do if neither fix it...at least with the app...you know the frequency and vibration order.
the nvh analyzers are so good...with dealer provided model information...it can isolate vibrations to a p/s pulley, crank pulley...the frequency changes with pulley size.

Last edited by tech2; February 25th, 2019 at 8:05 PM.