Avalanche Chevy's first real SUT, combining the interior room of an SUV and the cargo ability of a pickup truck.

Chevrolet Avalanche
Platform: GMT 805 & 900

08 Avalanche Trailer Sway

Search this Thread

Old June 2nd, 2014, 11:35 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 Avalanche Trailer Sway

I am pulling a 26 ft camper with my Avalanche and it begins to sway at 55-60mph. I have added a dual cam anti sway bar from Reese but it does not improve the sway. I have also played with the weight on the load levelers but it does not seem to work either.
Do I need to change the swat bar on the truck or are there other alternatives?
Old June 2nd, 2014, 8:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

you took ride height measurements of the truck when you set up the weight distributing hitch correct. Do you have the correct drop on your hitch?

the weight of your camper is? the capacity of the w/d hitch is what?

I had a similar issue with an enclosed trailer I towed. dropping one link on the w/d hitch (more tension) fixed my problem. I didn't even need a sway control bar, the w/d set up right fixed the sway.
Old June 3rd, 2014, 5:00 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not sure about the measurements as the place I bought the travel trailer from installed everything so I suspect it is correct. The hitch and the load levelers are rated for 10,000 lbs I believe as they were changed when I purchased this trailer. The weight of the trailer is approx. 6500 lbs
I really appears to me that the back end of the truck is rolling and this sets off the swaying of the trailer.
Old June 3rd, 2014, 10:02 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

my set up was the same as yours then. same w/d hitch bar rating, close to the same trailer weight. Same problem. Even after the initial set up, I had to fine tune it. When the hitch was set up correct, the sway was gone and no sway control bar was required.

I drove 2 days with the sway before I made changes. It was down right scary and tiring to drive. After it was corrected, towing was enjoyable. Don't wait till you wreck.