Avalanche Chevy's first real SUT, combining the interior room of an SUV and the cargo ability of a pickup truck.

Chevrolet Avalanche
Platform: GMT 805 & 900

2003 Chevy Avalanche 1500 Passlock issues ?

Search this Thread

Old January 6th, 2010, 5:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Chevy Avalanche 1500 Passlock issues ?

Howdy. Have used this site for info in the past and yall are great, but not having much luck right now, must be "user error" . Customer has a 2003 Chevy Avalanche. Charging system went south on him, and he lost his battery. Truck died.

This has seemed to activate the Passlock system on the truck, from what I understand.

New battery, still no cranking.

After trolling online, I found the 30 minute procdure for resetting the Passlock (I assume the little locked padlock light on the dash is this "passlock" ?). This is what I found:

try this first-turn key to run postion-watch
the security light on the dash(or passlock light) wait about ten miniutes and the light should go off-turn key to the off postion-then repeat this three times-on the last time turnkey off for about ten seconds and try to start the truck-this is called a 30 miniute relearn procedure-the pass lock has lost the security code and this relearns it-if this doesnt work then there is a failure in the security system and the truck will need to be taken to the dealer to be repaired(or a good repair shop)to be diagnosed-this requires special tools to diagnose this and these tools are not avaible to the layman
in a nut shell.

Problem is, I do not need to wait 10 minutes for the light to turn off, as it turns off on its own after maybe 60 seconds...

Wondering if you guy have any ideas ?

Could be the starter I suppose, but that would be one heck of some bad luck to have the charging system go bad, lose the battery and lose a starter all around the same time. Of course, crazier things happen, but I don't know. The truck died on him during a drive. Electronics went dead, and he coasted to the side. Towed in.

Just looking for some ideas.

Will get back to work. If I find something, will let you all know. In the meanttime, some ideas would be great. As my name suggest, I am not too familiar with these yankee cars...

Thanks a bunch for any help !
Old January 7th, 2010, 10:10 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh well, thanks anyway....