Avalanche Chevy's first real SUT, combining the interior room of an SUV and the cargo ability of a pickup truck.

Chevrolet Avalanche
Platform: GMT 805 & 900

Is Dexos oil an "absolute requirement" ??

Search this Thread

Old August 16th, 2019, 8:44 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Is Dexos oil an "absolute requirement" ??

I own a 2013 Avalanche Black Diamond... Has 41,000 miles... Wondering the legit scoop on "Dexos"... My mechanic prefers "Amsoil" products... Does anyone have any legit factual knowledge in this area?
Old August 16th, 2019, 2:10 PM
Super Moderator

Received 512 Likes on 472 Posts

https://www.amsoil.lube-direct.com/2...amsoil-has-it/
Old August 16th, 2019, 3:42 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

It's all about meeting manufacturer's requirements and paying them to certify it and allowing you to put the logo on your product. If Amsoil guarantee they meet the dexos specs, I'd have no problem using it in my vehicle. I use Valvoline MaxLife ATF in my Suburban. It's inexpensive because it's not certified by manufacturers but they guarantee it to meet or exceed Dexron VI specs.

However, I refuse to use anything from a company that distributes using multi level marketing. Amsoil is such a company. I'd be willing to bet that the mechanic is a member. Amsoil makes an excellent product, however.
Old August 18th, 2019, 9:16 AM
CF Monarch

Received 263 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by DeeTee
I own a 2013 Avalanche Black Diamond... Has 41,000 miles... Wondering the legit scoop on "Dexos"... My mechanic prefers "Amsoil" products... Does anyone have any legit factual knowledge in this area?
If you have a GDI motor, running a motor oil that "evaporates" to any extent, is not a good idea. As for Dexron VI transmission fluid, I use the Valvoline Dex VI ATF.. Sure,
it costs more, but with no filter changes on the 6T40 transmission, in my 2015' Malibu 2.5 liter , 4.5 quarts is worth the money to me. "Penney wise, pound foolish".

Amsoil is good stuff, but expensive, and I don't like the MLM marketing nonsense that comes with it either.