Avalanche Chevy's first real SUT, combining the interior room of an SUV and the cargo ability of a pickup truck.

Chevrolet Avalanche
Platform: GMT 805 & 900
Old July 29th, 2015, 1:08 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

engine power is reduced, service stabilitrak and service traction control

Search this Thread

Old January 9th, 2014, 4:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fixed

So it has been 5 months since I had the on Starr computer changed and still no issues. For those of you still having this issue really look into this. My on star was sending a bad signal to the truck. Since on star is tied to everything in the truck it affected everything that we are all seeing. Do yourself a favor and look into this. It will save you time and money by not letting the dealer replace all the other crap that they look at
The following 2 users liked this post by Dc2002:
Charlene Owen (February 9th, 2020), Monster10 (August 5th, 2020)
Old January 16th, 2014, 7:09 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Stabilitrak and Traction Control Error Code

We have a 2007 Chevy Tahoe with 100k miles on it that has been in and out of the shop since Thursday. Three weeks ago we got a code saying "Service 4-Wheel Drive" did that and then the check engine light came on and went off for the next couple of days. Then started it up Thursday morning and it was rumbling and the engine was knocking. Brought it back in and it was throwing 3 codes one of which was "Service the Stabilitrak" and then the engine would power down, Stabilitrak OFF, Traction Control OFF would come on. It was not safe to drive at that point because it would idle when it should go. Brought it back to service technician. They did 100k mile service replaced plugs and wires, oil filter, changed oil and bad 1st cylinder. Problem is still happening. What should we do next?
Old January 27th, 2014, 3:10 PM
CF Beginner

I just had the same exact thing happen to my 08 Avalanche. Got a car wash the other day and pulled out and as soon as I accelerated to exit the parking lot, I got the "Reduced Engine Power" and stabilitrak and traction control were both off. I limped the truck home and waited a few hours. Started it again and it ran fine but the check engine light was still on. I did not get a chance to check the code but the next day the light was off and I drove it all over. Thinking everything was fine and that maybe something just got wet at the wash, I drove it again. This was two days after it happened. I was at a stoplight and the truck just died after trying to accelerate. I had to wait a bit and it started and ran fine getting it home. The check engine light was back and it was P2101 - TAC problem. After researching, I found that GM has a special warranty for this issue on certain models and after running my VIN, they replaced the throttle body at no charge.
Old January 31st, 2014, 10:55 AM
CF Beginner

Default 07 Tahoe stabilitrac / low power / engine light

Hey all,
New to forum. I have been experiencing the same problems and had the Tahoe into my local dealer yesterday. They felt the throttle body needed to be cleaned ($179.99). Didn't work. To their credit I was refunded the money but they are clueless as to a sollution.
I have ID'd and purchased a new geniune GM throttle body. I will install it myself.
My question:
Will the system sinc or learn itself? or do I need to take it back in?

Thanks
Old January 31st, 2014, 12:45 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Welcome to the forum...
You can replace the throttle body yourself...
It can be taken back to the dealer for the relearn procedure OR you can let it relearn on its own, which can take a couple of days and drive cycles...
Here is the procedure....
https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tah...-gmt900-54328/
Old February 20th, 2014, 8:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Been Chevy customer my whole life, same issue with my wife's traverse. Engine power reduced, service stabilitrac/traction control. I see many others with same issue and no resolve which makes me lean heavy towards others manufacturers. Hate to be a traitor, but reliability earns the $$$$$$!!!!!
The following users liked this post:
Charlene Owen (February 9th, 2020)
Old March 7th, 2014, 7:15 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Rockhill
Been Chevy customer my whole life, same issue with my wife's traverse. Engine power reduced, service stabilitrac/traction control. I see many others with same issue and no resolve which makes me lean heavy towards others manufacturers. Hate to be a traitor, but reliability earns the $$$$$$!!!!!
I know what you mean been bowtie to the bone since 1973 but with my wife's 2010 traverse having this same problem and many others(power steering) I may have to look at other options for a trade...(May be a durango or explorer in my future?)
Old March 8th, 2014, 10:04 AM
CF Beginner

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Look into your on star. It took the dealer 3 weeks of troubleshooting and countless call to GM engineers to locate the problem. Due the how complexly on star is integrated into GM vehicles, it can and will cause issues that will lead most in the wrong direction. We tried a new throttle body, and it did nothing. We tried a new harness, still nothing. Finally, the engineer told the dealer to remove my on star computer and jumper the system to see if the problem continued. After 2 weeks of driving with no issues I had the dealer install a new computer. That was in August of 2013, and I haven't a single issue since. I highly recommend looking into this. It will save you money in the long run by not changing throttle bodies every couple months
Old March 10th, 2014, 9:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, it's been at dealership for three weeks now. And in all honesty, I'm fairly close friends with the manager. Yet when we call or text about, I feel like I'm getting the runaround. That bothers me more than the car acting up! Week one was "were driving it around waiting for it to act up." Week two was "were driving it around to make sure you don't have anymore issues." Just now, "were still driving it around waiting for it to act up." I'm lost, worried, stressed and pissed. What now?
The following users liked this post:
Charlene Owen (February 9th, 2020)
Old March 12th, 2014, 9:42 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2007 Chevy Avalanche Stabilitrak warning

I received the same message, stabilitrak off, traction control off on my 2007 chevy avalanche without any warning. The engine started running really rough and would shift hard. I took it to a local gm dealership who told me it was a "lifter problem" after spending $160 in diagnostic fees. Called GM to see if they would help cover any part of the $4200 price tag to replace 4 lifters. Waited 3 days and spent more than an hour on hold over those days to hear a resounding NO. Kinda funny that GM would not fix a major engine issue with a truck that has under 100,000 miles. Funny thing is that I bought a brand new 2008 Chevy Avalanche, had it for 28,000 miles and sold it. My dad who I sold it to had the engine explode on him at 32,000 miles... Quality? I have also seen numerous posts about this same problem with the stabilitrak/traction control that was never corrected. My take on it is GM is a greedy company that doesn't care about people who buy their trucks. This is the 4th GM product I have owned and I will never own another one in my life with this kind of customer assistance. My take on it is that the newer GM products are not meant to last. Funny that I have a 1997 Toyota Corolla that I use as a gas efficient work car that has not had any problems....

Quick Reply: engine power is reduced, service stabilitrak and service traction control