Avalanche Chevy's first real SUT, combining the interior room of an SUV and the cargo ability of a pickup truck.

Chevrolet Avalanche
Platform: GMT 805 & 900

fuse panel shorting

Search this Thread

Old March 9th, 2014, 1:00 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuse panel shorting

my instrument and fuse panel is shorting out and causing my transmission to act up. I had this problem a while back . My tach , gas and speedometer quit working and transmission stayed in 3rd gear. I started checking fuses and noticed when i did that when i touched the fuses the gauges would flicker and like theres a short. i got them to stay on and the transmission started working fine. It worked good for about a year. and just now it started doing it again. but it seems worse now. i stop the truck and turn it off wiggle the fuses and it works for a little about 1/4 mile and then starts to not shift at all. does anyone know what the problem is? thanks
Old March 9th, 2014, 1:52 PM
CF Monarch

Received 336 Likes on 317 Posts

Bad connection to the fuses in the fuse box. Find which fuse it is and then get small needle nose pliers and try to tighten up the contacts in the fuse box for that fuse so that it makes a better connection.
Old March 9th, 2014, 3:09 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

cleveland9698 Welcome to the forum...
What year model? I would agree, you need to get to back side of the fuse box and find out why or what is loose causing the intermittent connection(s)....
Old March 10th, 2014, 8:19 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by in2pro
cleveland9698 Welcome to the forum...
What year model? I would agree, you need to get to back side of the fuse box and find out why or what is loose causing the intermittent connection(s)....
Its a 2002. Would this be the problem to the shifting. I noticed when I jiggle the fuses it starts working again. So I can check the connection on the back of the fuse panel.
Old March 10th, 2014, 9:34 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

The electrical short could be causing mixed signals to get to the transmission and causing it to shift differently...it could be causing a voltage drop out and one of the shift solenoids could be that circuit... but yes an electrical issue could cause your transmission to shift differently...