Avalanche Chevy's first real SUT, combining the interior room of an SUV and the cargo ability of a pickup truck.

Chevrolet Avalanche
Platform: GMT 805 & 900

Power steering help?!

Search this Thread

Old October 5th, 2018, 11:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering help?!

I’m sorry if this is a repeat, but I can’t seem to find my problem and I’m running out of ideas!

2005 Avalanche 1500 4WD 5.8L engine

i recently replaced the PS pump... which was followed by replacing the steering box.
After replacing the pump I had moments where I would lose power steering. It always comes back. Yes the brakes go out too.

Hiwever if if I tap the breaks everything comes back. I can be halfway into a turn whe the PS dies and if I tap the brake pedal it comes back.

anyone have any ideas of what to check? This is making me nuts!!

I tried testing the hydroboost at startup tart up and it dies and comes back like it’s supposed to.

i love this truck, but this is making me nuts.

Thanks for. Any suggestions
Old October 6th, 2018, 12:53 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

is all the info correct?
2005 with a 5.3 or 6.0L
1500 or 1500 hd
Old October 6th, 2018, 7:34 AM
CF Beginner

It was late last night... 5.3 1500 not HD
Old October 6th, 2018, 3:59 PM
Super Moderator

to my knowledge the only 1500 with hydroboost systems are 1500hd. you have a 1500 with hydro boost not vacuum boost?
Old October 6th, 2018, 4:41 PM
CF Beginner

Unless the power steering pump is pulling a vacuum instead of pumping fluid... it’s definitely a Hydro-Boost.
Old October 7th, 2018, 1:51 AM
Super Moderator

air in the system can cause both ps and pb to temporarily go out. if you filled the system and started it up - before manually bleeding- turning the wheels stop to stop20X- it may have sucked air into the ps reservoir.
Old October 7th, 2018, 7:31 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks tech2!!

i when I changed the pump the bleeding instructions I got weren’t for going stop to stop x times. I think I only did it 4-5 times.

With the truck on stands stands and the engine running. It started out as a once in a while thing, but then the gear went bad (blown seal) a week later and recent progressively this problem has shown up more and more.

I was thinking it may be the Hydro-Boost so I tried troubleshooting it by instructions of draining the system by pressing the brake pedal with the engine off. This seems to have help a lot, so I’ve been pumping the brakes before every drive... but I still have a bit of a lapse now and then when I go somewhere.

Maybe I’m just chasing air bubbles in the Hydro-Boost... any recommendations on bleeding that?

Would it help to try to bleed the PS setup again as well? Or has it been too long already?
Old October 7th, 2018, 2:51 PM
Super Moderator

they do not list the proper bleeding instructions when you get new parts.
at this point you can try another manual bleed and if problems still persist; a vacuum bleed
=
manual bleed procedure--
-raise the front wheels off the ground to allow you to go stop to stop with the engine off
-check ps fluid level; top off is needed
-stop to stop 10x and check level...if level drops, fill and repeat.
-have someone start the engine-you be ready to top of the reservoir in case the level drops...top off before it sucks air.
you could drive it at this point and see how it is or proceed to the vacuum bleed/pull a vacuum on the ps reservoir.
=
vac bleed
vacuum bleeding requires a vacuum pump (either a hand pump kit or if you have an air compressor a vacuum brake bleeder like a mity vac), a modified cap to pull the vac thru. (drill a hole thru a old cap and put a 3/16" piece of brake line thru the cap...not to deep to reach the fluid in the ps reservoir)
-put wheels straight ahead
-install the modified cap to the ps reservoir, install the vac source to the cap...pull vac for 5min,,,turn wheels to right stop...5min vac...turns wheels to left stop---5mn vac...return to center..5min vac. If its really stubborn I do the vac with the engine running.... pull vac again at center left and right.maybe 1 min at each position.

Last edited by tech2; October 7th, 2018 at 2:54 PM.