Beretta, Corsica, & pre-1995 Lumina Among this grouping, these three cars, while being similar to each other, offered something for everyone, from a sports coupe to a roomy sedan.
Platform: L-Body

1990 Lumina 2.5L Help!

Search this Thread

Old August 8th, 2006, 12:10 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 Lumina 2.5L Help!

Hey all,
I am new here and looking for some help. My mother has a 1990 Chevy Lumina Sedan with the 2.5L 4 Cylinder motor. She bought the car from a small city fleet around here a while back and it only had 56K on it. She now has 93K on it. Here is the problem.

Right after she got it it would stall out without warning and then restart right away. After much stress at a mechanic they replaced the ECU and th PROM chip and that fixed it. Now 2 years later it has developed a super high idle. It does not have a tach, but I would say it is close to if not at 2,000RPM at all times. I bought a junkyard ECU and used the PROM from her car in the junkyard computer and it fixed it for about a month and it was back the same.

It was about summer this year so I told her to take it to a GM garage and they would fix it right. WRONG! I thought it was the IAC (idle air control) valve. They said they diagnosed it and thats not the problem. They replaced the computer and the PROM again and said it was fixed and warrantied for 12 months. Here it is 3 months later and it idles fine in park or neutral but as soon as it's put into gear it revs up and stay there.

In the mean time she bought a 2003 Impala. I had her take the car back to them to have them fix it again and now they are saying it is the IAC motor and that its not their fault and want to charge $720 to fix it. After I laughed in their face for about five minutes and then almost killed the guy I was able to walk out. NAPA has the same NON GM IAC for $44. They must have a good flatrate system.

My question is. Does this sound like the IAC like I originally suggested and they now 'supposibly' confirmed. They have been wrong before and I am no expert. I am a Ford guy so I know little about chevy's.

Thanks
Old August 9th, 2006, 4:18 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1990 Lumina 2.5L Help!

I would first try cleaning out your mass air flow sensor, it could be clogged and giving a bad reading, otherwise, if it's only $44 then it's not much of an expense to change just to see where you get, if anything that's one less part you'll have to change later on down the road. Is the check engine light on? If it is take it to a parts place and have them check the codes. If there is an Auto Zone nearby I know they do it for free. That would give you and idea what it might be. Get them checked even if the check engine light isn't on.