Beretta, Corsica, & pre-1995 Lumina Among this grouping, these three cars, while being similar to each other, offered something for everyone, from a sports coupe to a roomy sedan.
Platform: L-Body

'97 Lumina AC Compressor

Search this Thread

Old August 14th, 2007, 12:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '97 Lumina AC Compressor

My '97 Lumina needs a new AC compressor and I want to replace it myself, does anyone know how to do it and can give me instruction on it?
Old December 4th, 2007, 12:51 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: '97 Lumina AC Compressor

You've probably already looked through the Chilton's/Hayne's guides and what not to find such an obnoxious warning:
Chilton:
Century / Lumina / Grand Prix / Intrigue
1997-00 Repair Manual
Section 6-15 reads "Repair or service of air conditioning components is not covered by this manual, because of the risk of personal injury or death, and because of the legal ramifications of servicing these components without the proper EPA certification and experience. Cost, personal injury or death, environmental damage, and legal considerations (such as the fact that it is a federal crime to vent refrigerant into the atmosphere), dictate that the A/C components on your vehicle should be serviced only by a Motor Vehicle Air Conditioning (MVAC) trained, and EPA certified automotive technician."
Basically, leaving us to all figure it out how to do it ourselves. I'm trying to remove my compressor in my 1997 Lumina, to install a bypass pulley, I'll post some pics when I complete. Lucky for me, my system leaks all the refrigerant out as soon as it's recharged, so I won't be committing a federal crime by disconnecting it myself.... Ironically enough the air horn I just threw away used R-134a as the compressed air source, bought it that way from Wal-Mart.
Old December 12th, 2007, 12:27 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: '97 Lumina AC Compressor

you can doit it yourself, it just a matter of a few bolts and a few fittings. YOU MUST GET THE SYSTEM EVACTED THOUGH! take it to a ac service place and have em suck it out, then you can doit yourself.