Beretta, Corsica, & pre-1995 Lumina Among this grouping, these three cars, while being similar to each other, offered something for everyone, from a sports coupe to a roomy sedan.
Platform: L-Body

High RPM while engine is idle / 1995 Chevrolet Lumina sadan 3100 SFI V6

Search this Thread

Old December 14th, 2016, 3:11 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation High RPM while engine is idle / 1995 Chevrolet Lumina sadan 3100 SFI V6

So here are the conditions for what is happening and what I've noticed.

* when the engine is cold, engine runs at a really high rpm and does reduce in rpm even when warm
* this symptoms are the same when in park, or when in neutral.
* if I turn the car off and on the rpm does not reduce.
* when I shift to drive, or reverse, or any other setting the rpm reduces to normal
* if I shift back to park/neutral before the coolant thermostat has been opened for about 20 seconds or so, the rpm returns to it's really high state and doesn't reduce at all.
* if I shift back to park/neutral 20 seconds or so after the coolant thermostat has opened, the rpm remains at normal speeds.
* at this point, if I turn car off and on, rpm remains at normal speeds until the engine is completely cooled.

So the issue is that as the car warms up the the RPM does not reduce on it's own. RPM only reduces if I shift from park once the engine has warmed up. At this point RPM is normal until the engine has cooled again.

What would be the likely cause of something like this? Is it something I could fix myself? I would appreciate any help I can get! Thanks!