Blazer Combining style with comfort, this all-new, sporty SUV is the epitome of adventure.

Chevrolet Blazer
Platform: C1XX

2000 Blazer 4x4 issue

Search this Thread

Old July 10th, 2019, 9:35 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Blazer 4x4 issue

Hello all,

Attempting to diagnose a 4x4 related noise I have, looking for some guidance. It's pretty straight forward, when I engage the 4x4, everything is fine and there's no noise, but when I turn in either direction there's a loud clunking noise, and then when I go back straight it goes away. Doesn't matter if I'm on gravel or pavement, it's the same. One weird thing I've noticed is that it doesn't always go away when I get back into 2WD, sometimes it takes a few miles or even a few days to go away, but it does always eventually go away when I'm back in 2WD. Any information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dustin
Old July 12th, 2019, 4:17 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by DDS35
Hello all,

Attempting to diagnose a 4x4 related noise I have, looking for some guidance. It's pretty straight forward, when I engage the 4x4, everything is fine and there's no noise, but when I turn in either direction there's a loud clunking noise, and then when I go back straight it goes away. Doesn't matter if I'm on gravel or pavement, it's the same. One weird thing I've noticed is that it doesn't always go away when I get back into 2WD, sometimes it takes a few miles or even a few days to go away, but it does always eventually go away when I'm back in 2WD. Any information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dustin
Have you used the "back the hell out of it", treatment? You just keep backing up in 2WD and stomp on the brakes HARD in gear. Otherwise, it is a likely a TCM or 4WD actuator issue, most likely. Wish we still had solid linkage to the TC from the floor mounted lever like my 241 does.
Old July 12th, 2019, 7:05 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
Have you used the "back the hell out of it", treatment? You just keep backing up in 2WD and stomp on the brakes HARD in gear. Otherwise, it is a likely a TCM or 4WD actuator issue, most likely. Wish we still had solid linkage to the TC from the floor mounted lever like my 241 does.
Thanks for the response, no I haven't tried that one yet. I'll look into that, I had read somewhat similar posts of issues like this that were related to bad u joints or CV axels, I'm not sure if that's my issue I'll have to Jack it up and try some troubleshooting. Thanks again!
Old July 21st, 2019, 1:20 PM
CF Beginner

The noise when turning sounds like it would be a front differential issue to me. Sometimes the front axle stays engaged even when the transfer case is disengaged but the front wheels drive the gears anyway.
Do the shavings test and look for metal in the oil by draining some out.