Bolt EV New Chevrolet Bolt forum to discuss GM's budget Bolt EV with 200+ mile electric range!
Chevrolet Bolt
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: ClipperCreek

GM Exec Throws Shade at Tesla Over Model 3

Old April 22nd, 2016, 4:43 PM
Chevrolet Forum Editor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GM Exec Throws Shade at Tesla Over Model 3

GM Exec Throws Shade at Tesla Over Model 3-bolt_vs_tesla_d2b4ec446bec7116dca11688d896ff66dc5821b9.jpg

The Chevy Bolt is a pretty impressive piece of engineering work and GM took it from concept car at an auto show to production show car in just a year. It’s an affordable EV with a range in the 200 mile ballpark, and it supposed to arrive later this year. Of course, the Bolt is not the only affordable 200-mile EV coming to market thanks to the Tesla Model 3...

Read the full post on the blog here!

Last edited by Chevrolet Forum Editor; April 22nd, 2016 at 4:48 PM.
Old April 9th, 2017, 7:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Model 3 looks sexier, especially after Chevy removed so many styling aspects of the concept, and Tesla does have their coast to coast charging infrastructure, but the Bolt has several advantages too.

Aside from Tesla not having yet shipped anything on time, they will need to ramp up production. It has taken them nearly five years to ramp up to 100,000 units in a year. So, even if they make and deliver a few, it may be a l-o-n-g time before anyone not currently on their reservation list gets a vehicle. I'm guessing they won't start production until 2018, they won't be ramped up until 2019, and new comers to the reservation list may not see a car until 2020.

I believe the federal incentives are based on the first 200,000 electric vehicles made by a manufacturer, and this may be exhausted by the time the Model 3 rolls around.

While the Bolt lost it's wrap around window and panoramic roof on the way to production, there's no guarantee Tesla will offer a panoramic roof on the Model 3.

The free charging available to early Model S owners will not be given to Model 3 buyers.

While both cars are new, Chevrolet's reliability and consumer satisfaction with the Volt has been high. Hopefully, the Model 3 will be more reliable than the Model S without the extraneous features of "presenting door handles", etc.

Perhaps the biggest thing in Chevy's favor is it's dealer network. Granted, not all dealers are motivated to sell the cars and train their staff, the chances are still favorable for service with the Bolt, even if adoption lags due to low fuel prices.

I heard a quote recently from Elon Musk. It was something to the effect of "Building rockets is hard; but building automobiles is very hard." Tesla's powertrain has proven to be pretty robust, but this will only be the third car they've built. (The Roadster, was built by Lotus.) I wish them the best, but I wouldn't anticipate them rolling out the Model 3 without a hitch, especially with the short testing phase between early build prototypes and a ramp up to production.

Tesla may have more cachet than Chevrolet, but the risks are not worth it for me.

Search this Thread