Caprice This full sized sedan gained infamous recognition as being the choice of many police forces nationwide.
Platform: B-Body

1966 Caprice stuck pedal issue

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2022, 7:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1966 Caprice stuck pedal issue

Hello y'all, I'm new to this forum. I just purchased a 1966 Caprice 4 door hardtop automatic and I'm having a weird issue with the gas pedal. From my current testing, I've found that when I floor the car from a stop, the gas pedal stays to the floor until the transmission shifts to second where it abruptly releases the pedal back to the top. It doesn't shift until it's reached redline no matter how much I hold the brakes. I also haven't been able to recreate these results in any other gear other than first/standstill. I was suggested a new pedal return spring but I have 2 springs attached to the carburetor and I don't know what each should be doing.

It has an Edelbrock avs2 carburetor and an Edelbrock air cleaner that was recently installed. This is my first carbureted car and I do not know a whole lot about it. Any ideas or how to fix/ diagnose this problem is appreciated.
Old May 30th, 2022, 7:47 AM
CF Monarch

Received 344 Likes on 325 Posts

Welcome from Florida. Check for a binding in the linkage from the pedal to the carb. When you accelerate hard the engine will move and if the linkage isn't adjusted just right it can bind and stick.
Old May 30th, 2022, 9:23 AM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by oldchevy
Welcome from Florida. Check for a binding in the linkage from the pedal to the carb. When you accelerate hard the engine will move and if the linkage isn't adjusted just right it can bind and stick.
With that, it's probably the kick down linkage. Look from the transmission to the throttle, there is (probably) a solif rod that downshifts the transmission when you punch it.
Old June 1st, 2022, 4:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oldchevy
Thanks for the warm welcome! I ordered a set of the OEM recall engine tie down straps. I believe those should take care of it.
​​​​​​
On another note, I noticed that the fan was knicked and has shattered the shroud around the radiator. Both my fan and power steering pulleys have a wobble to em. Is there just something loose (I hope) it should I order a new power steering pump, water pump, and fan clutch?

Thank you in advance for the help!
Old June 2nd, 2022, 8:23 AM
CF Monarch

Received 344 Likes on 325 Posts

Take the belt off and check for end play in the shafts for the water pump and power steering pumps. It might be the bearings. If everything is tight you could have slightly bent pulleys. If this is the case and you get new pumps and transfer the old pulleys to the new ones, you would still have the wobble.