Caprice This full sized sedan gained infamous recognition as being the choice of many police forces nationwide.
Platform: B-Body

1985 caprice 5.7 diesel

Old April 10th, 2016, 2:34 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1985 caprice 5.7 diesel

my buddy and i just picked up a mint 85 caprice diesel and don't know much about them. would like some pointers to get this beast back on the road. the injectors are firing but no fuel to the system. would appreciate some pointers from those of you with experience on where to look to solve the issue.
Old January 22nd, 2017, 3:30 PM
CF Active Member

Check / replace fuel filters . Check fuel pressure . Are the injectors electronic ? Howm do you know they are working ?

Try to find a manual ( book ) .

God bless
Wyr
Old January 23rd, 2017, 11:16 AM
CF Active Member

I had an 81 Pontiac with the 5.7 diesel in it. Had an issue with the sock filter on the fuel pickup in the tank. If the tank fittings are not corroded, it's a fairly easy job. Problem is most of those corrode and it is hard to get the fuel pump out. I also had to cut all the fuel lines to the pump to allow the tank to full drop from under the car. I ended up replacing the filter, pump and mounting straps, didn't want to have to drop the tank again. I used new stainless tubing and compression fittings to repair the cut fuel lines.

Search this Thread