Caprice This full sized sedan gained infamous recognition as being the choice of many police forces nationwide.
Platform: B-Body

1991 Chevy Caprice 4 door sedan - Right frony door glass replacement

Old January 18th, 2017, 3:34 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1991 Chevy Caprice 4 door sedan - Right frony door glass replacement

Vandals broke this glass out . Picked up a new replacement glass .

I was expecting the glass to be held by 2 fasteners through 2 holes in the bottom of the glass . Which is what I saw in the bottom of the new glass . When they took it out of the cardboard to show me the glass was in good condition .

Got the door apart . The bottom of the old glass was " glued " to an aluminum strip , with black " rubber adhesive " . Not held in place with 2 fasteners .

The aluminum strip was pop riveted to another aluminum strip . I drilled out the pop rivets . Those I can replace , not worried about that part .

So , I am confused . Did they sell me the wrong glass . Or am I missing something ?

Thanks , :-)

God bless
Wyr

Last edited by WyrTwister; January 29th, 2017 at 9:13 AM.
Old January 29th, 2017, 9:27 AM
CF Active Member

This appears to be the correct glass . The 2 holes in the bottom of the glass line up with 2 holes in the aluminum piece the old glass was glued into . I bought 2 1/4" x 20 tpi plastic / nylon screws & hex nuts . Going to use those , hopefully , to do an initial trial fit . Before I apply adhesive .

With a long / narrow screw driver & hammer I got the old broken glass out of the grove in the aluminum piece . Using a new , sharp blade in my utility knife ( and the screwdriver ) , removed the old rubber adhesive .

Bought a tube of 3M window weld # 06909 adhesive from O'Reilly auto parts . Hope this is the correct adhesive ? I have read & been told it is extremely messy & to try not to get it on to you your clothes . Or any finish surfaces .

Ordered some new plastic glide clips , one was broke & attempt to super glue it back together , failed . These slid back and forth in the other aluminum strip , that was pop riveted to the strip holding the glass .

The " scissor jack " mechanism of the regulator has a ball end stud , on each of the 2 " arms " . The ball ends should should snap into a hole in the center of each of the 2 glide clips .

Waiting for the weather to warm up a little more before I give it a go & try to put it all together .

God bless
Wyr
Old January 29th, 2017, 1:54 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by WyrTwister

Bought a tube of 3M window weld # 06909 adhesive from O'Reilly auto parts . Hope this is the correct adhesive ? I have read & been told it is extremely messy & to try not to get it on to you your clothes . Or any finish surfaces .

God bless
Wyr
That or black RTV is what I'd use.
Old January 30th, 2017, 6:11 AM
CF Active Member

That stuff is black . Not that the color matters ?

Started to use E6000 , but decided E6000 might not be flexible enough ?

Suppose to be warmer today .

My left hip has been bothering me . Seems to be doing better , with medication . Getting old is not for cowards . But it seems to beat the alternative .

God bless
Wyr
Old February 1st, 2017, 4:43 PM
CF Active Member

Old February 1st, 2017, 4:44 PM
CF Active Member

Not too professional looking . But I hope it is good enough .

Used 3M Window weld # 06909 urethane adhesive .

Two plastic / nylon screws & hex nuts locate the holes in the glass with the 2 holes in the aluminum strip .

Groove in the strip was about .2" wider than the thickness of the glass . Tried to use Popsicle sticks & wooden kitchen matches for shims , one on either side , to the left & to the right of the screws . No go . Finally settled up on 4 pennies . 2 at each end .

Will probably let it set until after lunch tomorrow .

God bless
Wyr
Old February 1st, 2017, 11:46 PM
CF Active Member

Adhesive appears to be set up . At least good enough .

Removed the 4 pennies & plastic screws / hex nuts .

God bless
Wyr
Old February 2nd, 2017, 7:29 PM
CF Active Member

1991 Chevy Caprice RF door glass

With the help of my Wife and several prayers , the glass is in the door . Far as I can tell , still in one piece .

Praise the Lord ! :-)

The aluminum strip the glass is glued to & the strip that the regulator operates ( up & down ) were originally pop riveted together . Could not get a pop rivet tool in position , to operate it .

Considered screws & hex nuts , but could not find my " tray " with assorted sixes & lengths . Ended up using Teak ( hex head self tapping screws ) . My cousin had suggested using LockTite , if I used screws & hex nuts . Excellent suggestion .

I found that a large enough diameter Teak screw , the hex head of the screw wedged inside the " track " , that the plastic glide clip slides in . Tight enough that I do not think it will ever vibrate loose / out . Even w/o LockTite .

Still need to finish assembling the door .

Also attached are photos of front and back side of the arm rest . Made some repairs with E6000 adhesive . Need to cut a piece of plastic , for the broken area of the back side & glue it in . To finish the repair . Pick up some screws and appearance / trim washers . Hopefully at O'Reilly Auto Parts . Then do the same for the driver side arm rest .

God bless
Wyr
Attached Thumbnails 1991 Chevy Caprice 4 door sedan - Right frony door glass replacement-20170202_184839.jpeg   1991 Chevy Caprice 4 door sedan - Right frony door glass replacement-resized_20170202_181754.jpeg   1991 Chevy Caprice 4 door sedan - Right frony door glass replacement-resized_20170202_181701.jpeg   1991 Chevy Caprice 4 door sedan - Right frony door glass replacement-back-side-arm-rest.jpeg  
Old February 7th, 2017, 10:59 AM
CF Active Member

My Wife helped me put the door back together , yesterday PM .

Praise the Lord ! :-)

God bless
Wyr
Attached Thumbnails 1991 Chevy Caprice 4 door sedan - Right frony door glass replacement-resized_resized_20170202_181701.jpeg   1991 Chevy Caprice 4 door sedan - Right frony door glass replacement-resized_20170206_143501.jpeg  

Search this Thread