Caprice This full sized sedan gained infamous recognition as being the choice of many police forces nationwide.
Platform: B-Body

87 Caprice no brake pedal

Search this Thread

Old October 20th, 2019, 1:56 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87 Caprice no brake pedal

My friend tryed to move his car and suddenly had no brakes , no pedal , went to the floor. I'm trying to fix it for him , but not Shure how to find the problem. I found a rotten vacuum line that was leaking badly. I replaced it. Still no brake pedal pressure.
Brake fluid looks full. I'm not Shure what to look for next. Please Help !
This problem was sudden , no warning after sitting for 2 weeks.
Old October 20th, 2019, 3:11 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Deerdog
My friend tryed to move his car and suddenly had no brakes , no pedal , went to the floor. I'm trying to fix it for him , but not Shure how to find the problem. I found a rotten vacuum line that was leaking badly. I replaced it. Still no brake pedal pressure.
Brake fluid looks full. I'm not Shure what to look for next. Please Help !
This problem was sudden , no warning after sitting for 2 weeks.
Well, if there was one bad vacuum line, there might, not positive, be lots of other issues with a vehicle that is 32 years old. Could easily be a bad master cylinder or a bad slave cylinder if it has any drum brakes, or a bad caliper piston with disk brakes, or a bad brake line somewhere.If you can't easily see anything wrong, then it's likely that there is air in the system, and the whole brake system might need to be flushed out and the brake fluid replaced.

Older vehicles tend to need to have more things changed out, then newer ones due to age and the environmental conditions the vehicle has been running in for it's lifetime, and of course the maintenance of the vehicle by the owners.
Old October 20th, 2019, 6:10 AM
CF Beginner

Default Caprice brake problem

WOW ! Thank You for your response . That's Alot more than I was expecting , to much for me to handle.
Old October 20th, 2019, 3:13 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Deerdog
WOW ! Thank You for your response . That's Alot more than I was expecting , to much for me to handle.
Thanks, Deerdog. We try very hard to diagnose vehicle issues here, even non-GM vehicles, although most of us are Chevrolet "Bow-tie" lovers.
Old October 23rd, 2019, 9:49 PM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

double check your brake fluid level. on my 94 with the jb3 brake system it has the plastic reservoir. its dirty to the point even when completely emptied it still looks full till you try to stick your finger in the hole. my brother called me one day when using it and said the same thing you did. "pedal goes straight to the floor and the reservoir is full" the truck had leaking wheel cylinders that would empty the reservoir when it sat for too long.
Old October 23rd, 2019, 11:27 PM
CF Beginner

Thank You I will check it out