Caprice This full sized sedan gained infamous recognition as being the choice of many police forces nationwide.
Platform: B-Body

89 caprice, oil in breather cap..suggestions?

Old June 24th, 2010, 10:03 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 89 caprice, oil in breather cap..suggestions?

i have an 89 caprice and when it starts it cuts off, crank it again it runs until it levels itself out or sometimes it cuts off. now if i crank the car and give it gas it'll run and once it levels itself it will run fine...problem is when i first start it that there's this back and forth, run and cut off until gets going. i had taken off the breather cap and saw that there was oil in the breather which to me signals that it's cutting off because its temporarily suffocating a few seconds at a time when started until it gets going. Am i on the right track and does this makes sense to anyone or do you guys have any suggestions?? thanks for any advice??
Old June 24th, 2010, 4:40 PM
CF Beginner

With the engine running pull out the pcv valve from the valve cover and make sure it is sucking. If it is not sucking pull the hose off of the carb and make sure it is sucking there. If the pcv valve system is not working oil will blow out places it is not suppose to.
Old June 24th, 2010, 6:22 PM
CF Beginner

Default thank you my friend

i appreciate the response sir...i will see if it works and i will follow-up with you and let you know...thanks again.
Old July 2nd, 2011, 8:40 AM
CF Beginner

1) Throttle body? There is a four plug connector, dosconnect it .I think it is a 1" wrench to remove the rest, kind of like a spark plug....and clean, a spring and a mushroom type head. And a new PVC couldn't hurt.

2) Carburator? Plug up the old connection. Add a 1" spacer, drilled and fitted for the hose. Again, new PVC valve. Higher top end if it's done this way. Lucky you.

Last edited by phkncappy; July 2nd, 2011 at 8:43 AM.