Caprice This full sized sedan gained infamous recognition as being the choice of many police forces nationwide.
Platform: B-Body

92 caprice wagon no start

Search this Thread

Old March 12th, 2018, 12:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 caprice wagon no start

so I've got a 92 caprice wagon 305. when I turn key the car literally does nothing. will not start crank or even make a click no dash lights no dome light no door buzzer. only thing that works is i can turn on the headlights. I've checked all the fuses I could find. and I've replaced the ignition tumbler and the ignition switch. and I can not find anything on the internet with the same problem please help
Old March 12th, 2018, 3:32 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

There could be a fuseable link, follow all the battery cable + for one. Also the starter solenoid battery cable.
Old July 2nd, 2018, 11:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Meek
so I've got a 92 caprice wagon 305. when I turn key the car literally does nothing. will not start crank or even make a click no dash lights no dome light no door buzzer. only thing that works is i can turn on the headlights. I've checked all the fuses I could find. and I've replaced the ignition tumbler and the ignition switch. and I can not find anything on the internet with the same problem please help
This happened to my 91 LTZ ,when you turn the key, it turns a toothed gear that pushes down a gear tooth metal part that attaches to the steel shaft that moves the starter switch above your feet on the column ,the metal part at the top of the shaft which has gears in a straight line broke, to get to it ,you have to rent 2 tools and if you have tilt wheel,buy the bolt tool that removes the pivot pins.Im now working on this repair. If turning the key does not push down on the metal rod that works the ignition switch, which is above your foot,the starter never gets any DC..