Caprice This full sized sedan gained infamous recognition as being the choice of many police forces nationwide.
Platform: B-Body

95 Caprice, first project car

Search this Thread

Old September 14th, 2015, 12:48 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 95 Caprice, first project car

Hi my name is Jeff. I just bought a 95 Caprice that I want to be my project car. The trouble is, I'm a beginner when it comes to car stuff. The good news is the Caprice is in pretty good shape. The interior is spotless, the engine is clean and runs smooth, the exterior, as of now, is really the only parts that need some fixing up before I start modding.

So the first things I want to fix is the rust. There isn't too much but I want it gone and stop it from getting worse. The rust is inside the wheel wells behind the tires, some along the strip on the sides of the car on the doors (not sure what that strip is called) and a little on the driver side bottom fender near the rear tire. What is the best course of action to take care of this?
Old September 20th, 2015, 7:07 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you get to both sides of the rusted sheet metal ?

Luckily , I live in a mostly dry climate and rust is not as big a problem as many regions of the country .

But , as I understand it , there are 2 issues . First , washing ( with clean tap water ) out all the places that may have retained salt , dirt and water ( then drying it out ) . Then killing the rust so it does not continue to grow .

The next may involve cutting out the rusted metal , welding in new metal , fill , sand , prime , color paint & maybe clear coat .

God bless
Wyr

PS Search through youtube videos . And dont just slap on filler / Bondo without actually repairing the problem .

Last edited by WyrTwister; September 20th, 2015 at 7:17 AM.