Caprice This full sized sedan gained infamous recognition as being the choice of many police forces nationwide.
Platform: B-Body

acceleration issue

Search this Thread

Old March 15th, 2014, 9:10 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default acceleration issue

I have a 95 caprice. Just put a 96 roadmaster 5.7 into it. I've changed distributor, spark plugs/wires, coil, fuel pump, and I've checked the firing order of the plugs numerous times but I cannot get this car to accelerate very well......it backfires sometimes in the manifold I think. I'm not sure what it is, friends say it's jumping time, others say its the computer but I put a 96 impala ss computer in it today and still no change....Can someone point me in the right direction
Old March 17th, 2014, 4:26 PM
CF Junior Member

I'd say to check the wires.... Yes again. It's a common occurrence, getting #5 & #7 wires switched for some reason. How's the fuel pressure? Double check all your vacuum hoses and ports too. Back fire in the intake is a sign of a lean mixture and/or the timing/firing order is off. It's very unlikely the engine is "jumping time".

Mike
Old March 24th, 2014, 8:25 AM
CF Beginner

Ok sorry it took so long to get back to you, I work a hell of alot and the car was out of town at my dads......I was at work and he called me one day saying he fixed it.....I wanted to do a back flip, but any way....it was the plug in on the left side of the distributor...it was so corroded it was practically falling apart....he scraped the corrosion off and she runs with all the power in the world.......now I Jane another problem.....she is idled so high it's ridiculous.....in park it sounds like I have my foot halfway down.......this is becoming another issue.....it does it up until you put it in drive....but it does it again once you try to slow down
Old March 24th, 2014, 3:53 PM
CF Junior Member

What exactly was corroded? I thought you changed all the ignition stuff when you did the swap? Used parts?

Onto the idle issue.... Check your throttle cable, make sure it move freely. Next check the throttle blades in the throttle body, do you have a lot of carbon build up in the bore that is keeping the blade cracked open? Also check your base idle screw, maybe the previous owner idled it up trying to keep it running..... Possible. Idel air control motor, it's on the bottom of the throttle body, held in by 2 torx srews, take it out carfully as not to lose or rip the o-ring. Clean it, and the related seat, and passages on the TB with carb cleaner. I'd do all the cleaning with the TB off the car.
Old April 14th, 2014, 4:06 AM
CF Active Member

Check the throttle position sensor ?

Are the injectors OK ? Or are they leaking fuel ?

Install all 8 plugs with new ones . They are not very $$$ .

God bless
Wyr